Talk

Advanced search

Where do we go from here? - 5 days of 'training' 3.4 year old

(7 Posts)
shabbadab Sun 23-Feb-14 20:03:54

So, DS1 has been nappy-less in the daytime since Wednesday. we've had several failed attempts in the last 1.5 years and nursery (he goes one day) have been saying they think 'he's ready' so we went for it. I have a very stubborn DS who does not like change and we sometimes have the really push encourage to try anything new.

So, today we've had some absolute reluctance and some willingness to try sitting on toilet (with helped bribery of P Pig on tablet on toilet, chocolate button for result in toilet). We've had two wee accidents and one poo accident. We've had a couple of willy holding / fiddling through trouser moments where I've said 'you need a wee come on quick and we can watch p pig' and he's said 'no I don't' followed by yes I do' on the way to being whisked to the toilet and we've then had toilet wee. Also, a couple of caught wee's after much persuasion to go and try for one. He's not said I need a wee at all to date.

There has also been a lot of reluctance at times, testing us with 'I can't pull up my bottoms', I don't want to wear pants today, maybe tomorrow', shouting, demanding more choc buttons, general whining etc..

So, after 5 days it seems we have sort of come along way (from a little boy who wouldn't even try wearing pants at one time) but on other ways we're all exhausted and I just wonder with all the constant encouragement, bribery and occasional complete reluctance means we are doing the right thing? We've not been out the house and I wonder how it is fair/ how long we can/should keep it up without more significant progress?

He's got nursery tomorrow as seen as they've been so keen was going to take him nappyless and see what happens! Anyone else had a similar experience?

Katie28 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:40

Hi! We have just potty trained our 2 year old (3 next month) and have had a very similar experience particularly regarding reluctance to go on the potty.

We tried saying "I bet you can't show me where the potty is?"
Then once he has proudly shown us where it is "I bet you can't do a wee on it all by yourself?"
He loved this and it worked really well. I must say this was after three days of pulling our hair out when he did EVERYTHING in his pants!

We had to tweak it when he got bored of showing us the potty. We pretended there was a dinosaur in the potty and he had to wee on it to let it out then it would say thank you so much to him! He loved that! We are about four weeks in now and he goes on his own almost every time and is dry through the night too.

Don't despair! I know it's so frustrating when they won't go but he will get there and this time will seem like a distant memory. I know it's hard but try and relax for now. We were really wound up about the whole thing when we potty trained our dd (now 5) and she took much longer, I think because she found our attitudes stressful. We have been much more relaxed with ds (at least to his face!) and consequently he has been very relaxed about the whole thing. At the end of the day it won't hurt him if he has an accident, in fact it may just persuade him to go on the potty/toilet because he doesn't like being wet.

Good luck! You will get there! X

Katie28 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:20:35

I meant to say persevere as he may go a week or two without much progress and then suddenly get it. So it's worth waiting. It sounds like he has already made good progress x

shabbadab Sun 23-Feb-14 21:02:34

Thank you Katie. I was worried about whether we were pushing too hard and we should put him back in nappies. But maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit.

Katie28 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:39:27

I would give it a bit more time. The fact that you have made progress suggests he is ready. He will get it I promise you. Just think of the end goal! X

Blueuggboots Mon 24-Feb-14 14:23:57

keep going!! thanks

shabbadab Tue 25-Feb-14 19:47:09

Update! We had an excellent day yesterday (including nursery time with no accidents and full consent!!)

Today was different with very very limited consent at times but still some results so not all lost. We did have an awful moment where after being really naughty DS got put in his room and whilst in there wet himself sad. Katie I totally stole your idea today when there was limited consent and said he had to wee on the dinosaur to give him a drink! hmm. Gave motivation required though so thanks so much for that tip!

A question though - once they've started to get the hang of it and you say 'do you need / shall we try for a wee' and they say they don't need to go, how much do you push it? I mean, if you're trying to encourage them to know and then sort of doubting them?

Will definitely persevere though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now