Talk

Advanced search

Night time pull ups leaking - anyone got any suggestions

(5 Posts)
LovingKent Sun 23-Feb-14 14:12:28

DS is just 4. Has been dry during the day since he was about 2 1/2 with the odd accident. For past 6 months or so we have been using night time pull ups at night as it seemed he had outgrown nappies plus I thought when he does get bigger and wakes up in the night needing to wee he would be able to do this as he can pull a pull up down himself. These worked really well until the last few weeks when he has woken up in the middle of the night wet most nights. Initially I thought he'd outgrown the Huggies night time ones so switched to Drynites 4-7 but they kept leaked too (he seemed to push them down in his sleep) so I switched back. He isn't a great drinker during the day so we're working on trying to get him to drink more earlier in the day rather than at the end of the day. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to do? We're all knackered, his behaviour is worsening as he's tired and I'm struggling to keep up with all the washing this is generating. I don't think he's ready to go without a pull up at night (when it doesn't leak its very rarely dry in the morning).

ShoeWhore Sun 23-Feb-14 14:17:46

We had the same problem and had to use size 6 nappies (even then they still leaked sometimes, but much better than pullups) Does he drink a lot close to bedtime? I think you're right to up the drinks earlier in the day (this can be good to stretch the bladder, which would help at night as well)

The only other thing you could do is get him up for a wee when you go to bed. BUT this isn't really recommended as you can inadvertently be training them to wee in their sleep! If you do decide to lift then the best thing is to vary the time and make sure they are fully awake.

LovingKent Sun 23-Feb-14 15:17:04

Thanks shoewhore (great name by the way). Nice to hear someone else has had the same problem. I'd be very reluctant to go back to nappies as I think he won't be at all keen but if we have to, we have to. Going to have a big push to get more drinking in the day and not as much near bedtime (currently he drinks a lot at tea then a bit more at bed) and see if that helps.

Guardianto2 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:15:35

I know just how you feel Hun. Ethan is 6, Drynights and underjams have always leaked for us. Luckily he's still fitting into nappies, I have no idea what i will do when he outgrows them.
We have also seemingly tried everything but as yet, he's not had a single dry night.
Have you thought about getting a bed wetting alarm?
I have to warn you it didn't work for us, it would wake the whole house up and not him, and he got embarrassed about everyone knowing he wet. In the end I was worried the neighbours would start complaining about the noise so i stopped it.

LovingKent Mon 24-Feb-14 07:31:23

Thanks guardian. I don't think he's ready for that yet. My brother had one of those alarms - it didn't wake him up either grin. Yesterday got him to drink more earlier in the day and less at tea. Put the next size pull up on at bed, checked it when we went to bed and he'd pushed it down! No leak overnight. So perhaps it is a too small pull up plus too much wee. Time will tell.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now