Talk

Advanced search

My 3 year old won't potty train. Help!

(9 Posts)
monalisa28 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:11:11

My daughter has just turned 3 and is very bright and active. Her speech and understanding is fantastic for her age but for some reason she will not potty train. It's beginning to upset me now as I'm getting it in the neck from my MIL.
She started to show an interest a couple of months ago and would sit on the toilet, but she never produced a drop of wee to our knowledge and has since lost interest in the whole thing. If I take her nappy off she is more than happy with this but will wee on the carpet within minutes of sitting on the potty. She doesn't seem to have any awareness of it until it's done and has no warning. She just wees. Any advice please?

MrsJohnHarrison Mon 17-Feb-14 16:16:44

No advice, but my DD is the same (3 next month)

givemeaclue Mon 17-Feb-14 16:17:06

Yes, they all wee on the floor, it's what they do at the start. How often do you put her on the potty? Every 15 mins/ every half hour? Catch some on the potty and make a big fuss, stickers, chocolate buttons etc. she will soon get hang of it. Put books, toys etc all by potty, do activities with her on the potty, stay at home for a few days.

With dd2, sounds bizarre but if we let her put her feet in warm water whilst on the potty she would wee. Worth a try

monalisa28 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:24:30

We put her on the potty or toilet every 20 minutes. She never wee'd in either, instead got up and let the wee trickle down her legs. This went on for a prolonged period of time (days) with no progress. All subsequent attempts have been the same. She just doesn't seem to get it.

Jux Mon 17-Feb-14 16:35:31

Put the nappies back on, give it a rest for a month or two and try again.

Ignore your MIL. If I had listened to mine I'd have believed that dh was potty trained at 6m.

Assuming that your dd is NT she won't be in nappies forever, whether you train or not.

Twistiesandshout Mon 17-Feb-14 17:01:44

Honestly don't worry. Dd was only just 3.1 when she decided she was ready. Only 1 accident and it was a breeze. Wait until she's ready it is much easier that way. I wish I'd not bothered trying earlier as shejust wasn't ready. Good luck

TartanBed Mon 17-Feb-14 21:55:00

Wait a month and try a new method

patsypancake Tue 18-Feb-14 10:32:00

i have just done the 3day potty training lora jenson with ds 3.3 .. who didn't get it at all when we tried it in the summer.. he cracked it by day1 and have just been practising since then really...

cathie100 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:48:57

Hi monalisa28, I completely empathise! But it's nice to know we're not the only one's with this prob! My son was 3 in Dec and he's exactly the same as you've described your daughter, started to potty train him last summer and have tried around 6 times now without success so have decided we'd better back off now. Just a bit worried and feels like he's never going to crack it :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now