Talk

Advanced search

Would it be a mistake to wait?

(6 Posts)
Nonie241419 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:28:37

I have 3 DCs. DC1 potty trained at 3.3 years,basically because I got fed up waiting for him to say he wanted to wear pants. He got it within a few days and was using the toilet rather than a potty (I HATE potties!) by the end of the first week.
DC2 trained at 2.7 at his own insistence. He was brilliant with wees, but took slightly longer (only a week or so though) with poo. Again, he trained straight to the toilet.
DC3 has only just turned 2. She can't reliably get her trousers/leggings/tights off herself yet. She's smaller than her brothers, so getting onto the toilet is an issue. Because of that, I feel that it will be harder to train her now. However, she tells me when she is doing a wee, and sometimes before. She usually tells me before she does a poo. She's interested in sitting on the potty/toilet and actually managed a little poo on the toilet this evening (she tried really hard, bless her!).
Am I doing the wrong thing by delaying training? I'm fundamentally lazy - I've had two children pretty much accident free within a week, I don't want to spend weeks/months cleaning up puddles/piles!

lljkk Sun 16-Feb-14 17:46:28

You could give it 1 week try & if it's hassle then discontinue until later.
I would seize the opportunity of her awareness, she can soon learn to disrobe & unlikely she'll ever go on her own for first 2-3 months, anyway.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 16-Feb-14 17:54:00

Get a stool so she can climb up ok?

I think if she's asking and trying that you should take advantage. There are ways to overcome the problems you for see. It won't e long til she can pull stuff up or down just stick to trackies and loose jeans etc.

lljkk Sun 16-Feb-14 18:04:56

Another vote for stools all mine small for age so had to use them until age 5+.

Nonie241419 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:42:11

We actually have a very manky step in the shed, which I could scrub up for her. I need to purchase more pant for her first, I think, but we'll definitely work towards having a go. I'm a teacher and on half term next week (although annoyingly, my older DC's half term is this week, so will still have to do the school run). We could have a go then.
Thank you all :-)

lljkk Mon 17-Feb-14 09:54:46

If she's tiny then right size pants could be a challenge to find! Good luck, she sounds ready for a try. Don't bother if she can't go at least an hour between wees and can't hold it for at least 2 minutes after realising she needs to go (I'm lazy too). wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now