Talk

Advanced search

is it worth persisting?

(4 Posts)
Tenochtitlan Mon 10-Feb-14 18:07:50

5 days into potty training my 38 mth ds, who has been very resistant to the idea for past 6 months. However, his preschool suggested we just go for it with big boys pants and see how it goes, so that's what we're doing. He seems to hold it in, and we've only had 2 very tiny wees on toilet in whole 5 days. Whenever I ask him if he wants to go, you can guarantee he'll say no. In fact this afternoon, that happened and within 2 minutes he'd done a big puddle on the floor! Even when I say to him to tell mummy when he wants to go, 9 times out of 10 he says no....ie it seems he's just not interested. Do you think its worth persisting with potty training or should I leave it a while?

livingthegoodlife Mon 10-Feb-14 20:06:25

i would persist. perhaps try not asking him but just telling him "right, potty time now, come on and sit down" etc.

worth a try?

what about incentives etc?

are you using a potty or toilet?

Tenochtitlan Mon 10-Feb-14 20:18:09

Yes he knows he'll get a choc coin if he does something. He seems to prefer the loo, much comfier padded seat. He really just seems to be holding it in, even preschool think so. The couple of times he's done a wee on toilet, he seems quite freaked out by it.

Tenochtitlan Tue 11-Feb-14 18:42:24

He is now refusing to go and sit on toilet. Do I have to just pick him up kicking and screaming and put him on now?

One advance though, he really doesn't want to wear nappies anymore, only pants. However, when I explain that when he wears big boy pants, he must tell mummy if he needs to go for a wee, he either doesn't respond or says no....!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now