Talk

Advanced search

potty training 2nd attempt 3.3 yr help

(8 Posts)
rockyroadahead Thu 06-Feb-14 10:53:37

ds is 3yr 3m we tried potty training in the Easter hols last year but was unsuccessful .. I pretty much followed the mumsnet potty training plan with eg he picked bought his own pants , chose the child seat for toilet, spent a few days bottomless and he was very exited about the process but just didn't seem to be able to control his body functions . after 3 weeks and talking with school we decided to leave it for a while.

so we are going to try again in half term as he finishes thurs back on tues so it gives us 11 days to get started before he goes back to school

any advise on how to make this go smoothly and what I can actually say to him to begin the process? how long on average it might take ,

and good potty training related books to read at bed time (we had a couple last time but they seemed a bit confusing )

Shnickyshnackers Thu 06-Feb-14 10:55:12

I had a fab three day toilet training e book, we did it in three days. I loved it! I will look up the name for you.

Shnickyshnackers Thu 06-Feb-14 10:56:37

it's called 3 day potty training. I could forward it to you if you pm me your email address. if you'd like.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 06-Feb-14 11:01:06

My ds of the same age is potty training and what I have found to work is bribery blush. We started off with a little reward eg chocolate button for any wee/poo on potty or toilet. As he got the hang of it we made rewards harder to get and as he has struggled with poos, we now give a sticker for each poo on the toilet and five stickers = a toy. That will become ten stickers for a toy and then we will phase it out. It's taken about a month for him to get pretty reliable. We put him in pull-ups for pre-school as he has only just started there abd couldn't cope with adjusting to the new environment and toilet training at the same time. He does use the toilet there but it means an accident is less upsetting for him.

We haven't started on nights yet!!

Chasdingle Thu 06-Feb-14 22:48:21

my ds trained at 3.3 last year after a couple of earlier unsuccessful attempts. I didn't do anything different but it just seemed somehow different this time like it just clicked!

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Thu 06-Feb-14 22:57:32

My dd is on day 4 of potty training and no accidents today grin she loves the princess Polly potty book....think there's a pirate Pete one for boys.... I must have read it a couple of hundred times but when she wees on the potty she is really excited that she's like princess Polly

Our editor who is currently potty training her fifth child wrote this for the website... it kinda covers everything! diamondsanddaisychains.com/3-day-toilet-training/

rockyroadahead Sat 08-Feb-14 19:41:05

has anybody else done the three day training? does this actually work?

in all fairness I am am not to bothered that it works in 3 days but as long as it works !

also does it matter if he goes on the toilet not a potty as he always has done in the evenings and can even pretty much do it ion his own for a wee as he stands up like daddy !! he mostly refuses to go on a potty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now