Talk

Advanced search

When will my girls tell me when they need a wee?

(8 Posts)
Tinks30 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:43:38

My 2.2yo twin girls are doing really really well with their potty training. In fact I'm over the moon with how well they've done in only three weeks grin
We've no wee wee accidents during the day just poohs but I understand this comes later so I don't count it but I was wondering when they'll start telling me when they need a wee.

I know all kids are different and I'm not in a rush but it would be nice wink. I take my girls to the toilet every 45/60 mins and they usually go every time.

DeathMetalMum Thu 23-Jan-14 20:47:56

I don't have an answer but was just going to start a similar thred. We have started dd 3 today (for the forth or fifth time I think) and I have been asking her to sit on the potty hourly in exchange for a sticker and we have only had a poo accident today and three wees all on the potty. I was also wondering when to expect her to 'ask' me to go.

Tinks30 Sat 25-Jan-14 15:19:42

Anyone?grin

insancerre Sat 25-Jan-14 15:24:06

they will start asking when you stop taking them
there will be a transition period where they might have accidents but that is totally normal
they need to have the accidents to work out the cause and effect- they need to experience the feeling of having a full bladder and they need to learn how long they have before they wet themselves
if they rely on you to tell them when they need to go, they are not learning to recognise the signs for themselves

Tinks30 Sat 25-Jan-14 16:19:39

Thanks incanserre. So we're in week 4. Should I give it a go now? We only had one wee accident today but that was because I got distracted when I should've taken one of them

insancerre Sat 25-Jan-14 16:29:13

yes, I would give it a go
but, be prepared for accidents
and don't tell them off
just be matter of fact and change them
I have used this method lots of times, although I have only 2 children myself, I have worked with young children for over 20 years, so must have helped potty train dozens
and remember the old MN mantra 'it's just a phase and it will pass'
and remember, accidents are sometimes an important part of the process

DeathMetalMum Tue 28-Jan-14 14:51:45

I have been leaving dd to it now for a few days only really asking her to sit on the potty before we go out, or before meals which usually results in something. DD will tell us that she needs a poo most of the time but can go well over four hours without a wee - it is mostly that she only wees when she sits down for a poo. We are less than a week in though am I expecting too much for her to say she needs a wee at this point?

spritesoright Fri 07-Feb-14 17:53:36

DD potty trained a few months ago and I remember thinking she would never ask for a wee but of course she did once I stopped putting her on the toilet so often. It took a couple of weeks I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now