Talk

Advanced search

Should I put her back in nappies after 6 months of wearing pants??

(7 Posts)
Hollyjam123 Tue 21-Jan-14 23:02:54

My daughter is 2.10years old. She has been out of nappies since 2.4 years. The only reason we did it then was because she was very interested in the potty and started saying she didn't need to wear nappies anymore. Before this I hadn't planned to train her until about 3.

The first 2 weeks were fab she really got it and only had I think 5 accidents in first week and 2 or 3 the 2nd week. 8 weeks after training we went on holiday abroad and she was having 2 accidents nearly every day and I was really surprised but just thought extra distraction. When we got back things improved again after a few weeks but the long and short of it is that we haven't ever had any longer then 2 weeks of being completely dry in the day and over the last 2 months we are lucky if we can get through 5 days. I thought this was supposed to get easier??

I discussed with the nursery yesterday as she is generally always dry there and they said they do remind her a lot which has made me realise she really isn't properly trained at all!

Ironically she has been continuously dry in the night for 9 weeks! I still have her in pull ups which i know I shouldn't but I can't get my head around taking her out of them at night when I am thinking of putting her back into them during the day!!

I am at my wits ends I hate her having accidents so frequently and I have no doubt she picks up on it. When she has an accident I stay as calm as I can and she goes and changes herself. She knows the drill and is independent enough to dress herself. I did ask her last week why she peed herself and she said she didn't know she needed.

I have suggested to my husband that we put her into pull ups for a while and try again later but he disagrees and thinks it is acceptable to just remind her all the time to go to the toilet!!!

Does anyone else have this problem? Should I put her into pull ups? If I was only 2-3 weeks in I would def have put her from pants to pull ups but it's been 6 months now!!!!

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks

JenBehavingBadly Tue 21-Jan-14 23:07:36

I wouldn't go back to nappies, just frequent reminders to have a wee. Especially around 20 mins after drinking juice, if she's anything like my DD. Yes it's a PITA, but so will having to go through training again.

It's perfectly normal to remind a 2yo to go and have a wee.

Ragusa Tue 21-Jan-14 23:17:41

I really wouldn't put her back in nappies. She sounds like she is doing fine. I remind/ prompt DS (3.3) a lot. Saves on washing wink .

Hollyjam123 Tue 21-Jan-14 23:20:05

Thanks. I know she is still young I do have to remind myself of that.

beabea81 Wed 29-Jan-14 21:43:47

My dd is the same age, she has been "wee trained" during the day for over 6 months (pull up at night as she drinks milk & water before bed so no way she'd stay dry overnight yet), but no. 2's have been another matter! She would hold it in for days as she had this phobia about going on the potty or toilet, no idea where it came from but she would insist on having a pull up put on just to do a poo - she even started going & getting one out of the cupboard & trying to put it on herself! Finally this week she has started to go on the toilet, it's taken over 6 months! What I'm trying to say is, it takes time, they don't often go from nappies to permanently dry straight away. From what friends with older kids have told me, it's normal to have setbacks, especially when ill or with life changes etc. My friend is a year R teacher and says every September she has several class members who are still struggling to stay dry all day at school, no. 2's as well! Personally I'd say your little girl has done really well & just keep reminding her & encouraging her x

lizandlulu Thu 06-Feb-14 21:24:32

I coud have written the post. Although my dd is slightly younger, but same situation.
Days go by with no accidents, then 2-3 all in one day.

I am persevering with the reminders, nursery remind her all the time and she hasn't had an accident there for weeks, usually just pees when we get home!

I won't go back to nappies, I don't think she would let me anyhow. I think it's best to carry on as we are. Just keep asking her and taking her.

Hollyjam123 Fri 07-Feb-14 07:36:08

Thanks lizandlulu good to know we are not alone. I resorted to bribery 2 weeks ago and told her that I wasn't going to remind her unless we were going out. She has only had 1 accident in 2 weeks. So I know she can do it. She just leaves it so late when she is playing. Early days but it's helped me come back down to earth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now