Talk

Advanced search

What's the next step with DD?

(3 Posts)
ComradeJing Mon 27-May-13 11:21:29

Started potty training DD at 2 as she seemed to be showing lots of signs of being ready (dry through naps, removing nappy as soon as she had a wee, etc). This was in January and summer for us so we just let her run around naked for a while. She was weeing in a potty straight away and was very quickly "trained" at home. However, every time we put her in trousers she would be back to square one.

Skipping forward, it's now 4 months later and we're heading into winter and things are worse than ever. She now NEVER wees in her potty and she refuses to sit on it. I've never told her off for weeing in her pants and given her lots of consistent rewards for weeing in the potty. Not tried a reward chart though.

She's now even weeing on the floor when she's not wearing any trousers. I remind her to go but she just doesn't want to sit on the potty. She has also become quite distressed at pooing in general, especially if anyone sees her. She's always been a bit like this - though used to be very proud of pooing in the potty - but I suspect she was a bit constipated the other month and it's frightened her. She's also had a few hard poos for the past couple of weeks.

So, finally getting her to the point of all this. I need help with the following...

-What do I do next? Put DD back in nappies (which we still use when we go out tbh) and try again in a couple of months?
-More fruit (or whatever) to make poos softer

We're also going to the US at the end of June and the Uk in August. I'm just not sure what to do with nappies etc then especially with jet lag and the like.

Thanks!

cathan Mon 27-May-13 13:31:12

Given that this has become a real issue, I would put her back in nappies for a while. Keep the potty around, let her see you going to the loo etc and see what happens. I got into a real battle with my DD over toilet training and then got pregnant with DS (lots of morning sickness) and just couldn't cope. I put her back in nappies for a couple of months and it was a huge relief all round. When we tried again, she was more ready and it went very smoothly. Also, we bought one of those child-seats for the toilet and she seemed to find this made what she was doing more like what grown-ups did which helped her feel happier about the whole thing. Hope this helps.

ComradeJing Tue 28-May-13 13:03:34

Thanks Cathan, it really does help.

That's my inclination too. I'll try it and see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now