Talk

Advanced search

My ds (22 months) has gdd but can wee on demand shall I try and gently train?

(11 Posts)
bishboschone Sun 19-May-13 08:01:10

My very bright dd didn't potty train until she was 2.9 despite me trying and trying . She is very stubborn !! So I expected ds to be very late to get control of his faculties . Anyway, at bath time I have for be last well been getting him to sit on the potty and ask him 'where is your wee wee?' He looks at his willy ( as we call it) and does a wee . He then claps when I go crazy telling him he is clever etc . I have done this all week and he definitely is doing it on demand not that I'm catching him doing it . There is always a pause and we watch it coming together ifyswim.. My question is should I put him in pull ups and put him on the potty say every hour and ask him to wee ? Is this a good idea or a monumentally bad one? I don't want to confuse him.. He was prem and can't walk yet although is very mobile . He also doesn't speak but his understanding is very good . Any ideas ?

bishboschone Sun 19-May-13 08:01:57

Just to add he should only be 20 months .

PacificDogwood Sun 19-May-13 08:04:33

It sounds rather early tbh.
I think it depends a bit how long you are prepared to keep going and dealing with possible accidents.

I'd wait, but I am lazy and like my potty training to work quickly grin.

Eskino Sun 19-May-13 08:14:03

My ds can do a trickle of wee "on demand" to an appreciative audience but he's not ready to toilet train yet. He's 2y4m.

scaevola Sun 19-May-13 08:16:32

Bladder control is unrelated to being 'very bright'

If you have a child who is showing clear signs of readiness, then of course it's worth a try.

bishboschone Sun 19-May-13 08:20:19

Ok bad choice of words but what I was trying to say was there is no way dd could have done that at his age. I don't expect to be able to train him anywhere near yet. I'm happy to take the long approach but don't want to miss a cue .

brettgirl2 Sun 19-May-13 09:19:47

I think it's surprising how early they have control. The stubbornness is a separate issue that they get later. Mine is 16 months and has been weeing on demand for ages. I'm not potty training her but I bung her on the potty when I change her nappy. Poos the majority I catch. She now will sometimes point at the potty if she wants to go on.

My thinking is that getting them used to it early hopefully avoids the fear/ refusal stage if they get too used to nappies.

The 'inability to control' before 2 nonsense is propaganda from the nappy manufacturers imo.

MortifiedAdams Sun 19-May-13 09:22:49

hmmm.....I really think you need to wait til he ia walking before training him. Until he is capable.of.taking himself off to the potty when he feels the need then he wont be truly trained - just capable of peeing on demand.

bishboschone Sun 19-May-13 09:22:56

Thank you Brett . I was hoping for that type of response . I will plod along With that approach smile

scaevola Sun 19-May-13 09:35:47

I've just has a look in the 1950s baby book my mother passed on. Untrained at 24 months was considered "late" then, so most DC are capable of control by then (and I don't think physiology has regressed since then).

And BTW no, the book's not confusing 'timing' with real training. It says that in the first 15 months it is the mother who is "trained" to put the child on the potty at conditioned times (useful in days of cloth only and primitive washing machines), and that during the following months, the child learns to exert voluntarily control.

Rising two is a wholly unexceptional age to start.

MrsJacksonBrodie Sun 19-May-13 10:17:05

I find this guide helpful

No, physiology does not change but varies widly from child to child. And societal expectations certainly change.

I know I would not have been as lasy a potty-trainer if I had had to wash every wet and soiled nappy by hand. OTOH, late training worked within days grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now