Talk

Advanced search

2.4 yr old DS is still not talking-is potty training still possible.

(13 Posts)
jouli Tue 14-May-13 12:39:24

My DS will occassionally say "car" or "bye bye". When I ask him if he has done a poo,he stares blankly. Sometimes he will tug the back of his trousers when he's pooed. Can I potty train him ?

Sleepwhenidie Tue 14-May-13 12:42:52

I would take a look at the potty training guidelines (think there is a section on here) for signs to look for that show that they are ready, if tugging at his trousers is the only one he probably isn't. Not talking will also make it much more difficult, would rely on you watching him like a hawk for signs he needs to go, then asking him...which will be a hassle and probably result in more accidents than average because no one can watch a child like that every minute. I wouldn't rush!

kelda Tue 14-May-13 12:46:31

My dd2 was potty trained at about 19 months, she wasn't saying many words then. But she could understand what I was asking her.

Do you think he understands the concept of using the potty? Has he seen other children using a potty?

jeee Tue 14-May-13 12:48:26

My DDs were all potty trained long before they could talk. Not because they were spectacularly early with the potty training, but because they were extremely slow talkers. But they were all fully capable of demonstrating a need for the potty - they simply put the potty in front of cbeebies went and got the potty.

I don't think talking is a pre-requisite for potty training.

chattychattyboomba Tue 14-May-13 12:51:11

<pulls out gina ford guidebook>
Now i just want to make sure i don't get flamed here- you can either take this advice or leave it- but according to Gina Ford these are the signs he is ready-
1. He is over 18 months
2. His nappy is frequently dry after lunchtime naps (this could indicate bladder control)
3. He shows signs of being aware he is doing a poo (goes quiet, concentrating, points to nappy or says 'poo poo' or 'wee wee' when done
4. He can understand and follow simple instructions (eg. Go an get your red ball and give it to mummy)
5. He is eager to participate in getting dressed/undressed
6. Cab point to different parts of body when you name them(eg. 'Where's your belly? Nose? Head?' Etc)
7. Can sit still for 5-10 mins (be it watching a movie, reading a book, playing with toys)

Hope this helps.

kelda Tue 14-May-13 12:51:43

jeee - I'm thinking back - all mine were potty trained before two - dd2 the earliest at 19 months.

But they were all slow talkers dd1 had a hearingproblem; and ds has severe speech dyspraxia.

He is 4.8 and even now, I don't always understand him when he asks for the toilet, despite being potty trained nearly three years.

So I wouldn't say a child needs to talk to be potty trained.

BUT it does of course depend on the child.

jouli - just 2 words at the age of 2.4 years is of a concern - do you have any other concerns about his development?

Mummzeeee Tue 14-May-13 14:33:06

I have just started training my son who is 2.2 he can't talk but understands most things I say, he is doing a lot better at potty training than my daughter did at this age and she was talking at this age! It didn't take him long to pick up after popping him on the potty when he would start to go, So I would suggest giving it a go and if he doesn't get it straight away try again in a month or so. Best of luck

PartyFops Tue 14-May-13 14:58:07

Do children this age really sit still for 5-10 mins??

DD who was 2 a couple of weeks ago will not sit still on the potty, she will do a wee, but she will not sit still and do a poo!

chattychattyboomba Tue 14-May-13 19:05:29

Party- mine also turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. She will not sit still on a potty but is happy to play alone for up to 30 mins...and tells me (although inconsistently) when she wants to go to the toilet so we haven't really tried the sitting and waiting method.

MrsBrownstone Thu 16-May-13 14:17:11

My DS who is 2 and a half has just this week decided he wants to use the potty. I was quite happy to wait a bit longer as he can't talk very much at all (still waiting on my absent HV to rearrange our appointment for that one!). So long as he has the potty available he's happy and goes when he needs to then tells me by shouting YAY! I braved going out without a nappy for 3 hours this morning, he almost did it but wet in the car on the way home.

I'm at a loss tbh because he seems ready, he just can't talk although his understanding is really good .

kelda Thu 16-May-13 18:16:00

I never made any of my children sit on a potty for five - ten minutes.

That's a guarenteed why of putting them off potty training.

1 or 2 minutes max on the potty, and keep it close to hand.

jouli Fri 17-May-13 11:04:20

Soz it took so long to get back to your posts,but thanks,all.
The only time he sits still is when watching Fireman Sam,he's also going through a tricky phase at the mo ( new baby brother = lots of tantrums,whinging,flinging himself on floor & general diva-like behaviour). We are waiting on the Speech therapy dept at our local clinic
at the mo,but he probably says about 50 words,when he feels like it(which is not often tbh...)When instructed or suggested to do summat,he often appears to be day dreaming. Am I mad to attempt it ?

jouli Fri 17-May-13 11:05:27

Can't really imagine him sitting on a potty for 1 minute,let alone 5 !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now