Talk

Advanced search

a couple of (possibly silly) questions about potty training

(9 Posts)
TiredFeet Thu 09-May-13 19:32:58

trying to potty train ds, but I'm ill (hyperemesis) so quite fuzzy headed, so hoping for some help to answer my questions! (Wasn't my decision to potty train, dh started to let him but then lost interest in helping angry )

- what do you do when you go out and about, take a potty with you? DS is 2.5 but tiny, so cant really sit on toilets even with me holding him up. but it is a massive pain lugging the potty around.

- should I be changing him into a nappy for his naps? I haven't wanted him to wet himself in his sleep but then not sure if its confusing to him?

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 09-May-13 19:37:21

Take potty out with you and don't put him back in nappies for naps.

MrsHiddleston Thu 09-May-13 19:41:34

Take the potty with you everywhere and do not put him in nappies for naps, only at bedtime, take him out of the nappy as soon as he wakes on the morning.

Good luck!

I'm a believer of once you start, do not give up, sends out the wrong message IMO. smile

ilovepowerhoop Thu 09-May-13 19:41:50

I didn't take a potty and to start with did put back in nappy/pullup for naps. If you are stuck while out not near a toilet then an empty drinks bottle can come in handy but only really for boys!

Troubledjo Thu 09-May-13 19:42:11

I had a portable potty thing which was like a foldable frame with disposable plastic bags, which was quite handy, although DD got used to using the loo quite quickly.
I disagree about the naps - I put DD in nappies for naps, unless it was just a short one and I was sure she had been on the potty first. She is a heavy sleeper though and I didn't want her to get upset by wetting herself . She didn't seem to get confused about the nappies at all - after all she was in nappies at night so it wasn't really any different.

LondonJax Thu 09-May-13 19:42:48

We got DS a travel potty when we were potty training him. I think it was called a potette. It looks like a little loo seat, but there are little legs underneath that you pull out, then you put a special plastic bag with a liner on it and it became a potty. I only used it when I was out alone with DS, when DH and I were out together we'd take the normal potty - it was just too bulky when I was out shopping for example.

ScienceRocks Thu 09-May-13 19:43:14

If it's going well, you could take a potty out with you. There are portable potties available if you are into that kind of thing. My two skipped potties and went straight to the toilet, so I lugged a toilet seat round for a bit. It was a short phase, I have to say. As tiny as they both were at the time, they soon learned to balance on the big toilet seat.

If your DS naps for a long time, a nappy may well be easier. Plenty of people do this, and it obviously works better if you have a predictable napper (I didn't, mine would either not nap or randomly fall asleep in the middle of the carpet, so I never did). As long as it goes on just before the nap and comes off immediately afterwards, it isn't confusing for them, much as it isn't at night time. You can always do the same for car journeys and even when out and about. Remember that there are two people potty training - you and your DS - so do what feels comfortable for you. If he wears a nappy the first time he goes out, but is dry throughout or even asks for the potty, you are probably ok the next time to go without.

Hope that helps. Don't worry, if your DS is ready, it all happens quite quickly. And if not, don't believe all those who say to not go back into nappies. You have to do what is right for you and your DS, especially if you aren't feeling great.

Good luck!

ilovepowerhoop Thu 09-May-13 19:44:51

p.s. ds was day trained by 2years and night trained by 2y 6m so putting him in a nappy for naps to start with didn't hold him back

TiredFeet Thu 09-May-13 20:41:05

thank you all, this is really helpful!

its good to hear a range of opinions on what to do, I just wasn't sure if there was a set way to do things. DS naps are very regular and up to an hour, so think I will still normally do a nappy for naps, but I was just thinking I should ask nursery what they do! (sorry, I am too ill to think straight).

will stick to taking a potty for now, although a portable seat sounds like a good alternative, he won't relax and wee when sat on a toilet at the minute, but is generally fairly happy using the potty. just lots of accidents if I don't remind him enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now