Talk

Advanced search

Moving from potty to toilet

(6 Posts)
Fififolle3108 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:55:56

My ds is 2.8 and I started potty training a week ago. He has been doing great with it and we've only had a few accidents (all of which during dh's supervision ahem!) he seems to really like his potty but point blank refuses to use the big toilet. We have a trainer seat (incidentally bought by my MIL when he was 6 months old-I have been fending off her potty pressure ever since!!) but he says the toilet is too big and too scary. So far we have managed a couple of trips out but with potty in tow. He is back at his nursery on Tuesday and I am hoping their mini loos might help but am going to have to take the potty too! He usually responds well to stickers and star charts but having none of it! Has anyone any nuggets that I can try?? Really appreciate it!!

sapphirestar Mon 08-Apr-13 13:33:47

I wouldn't push him until he's ready, I let dd use the potty for a fair while (she was a fortnight off being 2 when we started) and then took her with me to empty it down the toilet so she could see where it goes etc.
Also used to say things like 'mummy's going to use the big toilet'.

Mini loos at nursery probably a good place to start, much less scary! Imagine how big a normal loo must look to a 2 year old!

He sounds like he's doing really well, and he's still young so don't stress too much. He'll get there when he's ready. Keep gently asking each time if he wants to try the toilet but try not to make an issue of it.

Good luck smile

Fififolle3108 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:58:44

Thanks sapphirestar ;-) I think I just needed some reassurance! He is doing really well and really don't want to put him off! Xx

Shattereddreams Mon 08-Apr-13 22:04:30

Ds has been dry reliably about 8m now, he pretty much trained himself at 2. But it's really only been a recent thing to use toilet. He always would when out and about (after initial fortnight) but at home always used potty.

But he is 2yr 9m now and often at home want big toilet and has actually climbed up himself once or twice.
The potty is there because he can take himself and trousers dependent, do it all himself.

We are nowhere near tacking standing up wee, his legs are far too short!

If DH or DP is about, ask him to do a few wees sitting down!

Shattereddreams Mon 08-Apr-13 22:05:27

Tackling obv!

Startail Mon 08-Apr-13 22:05:45

Find yourself a slightly older visitor.

DD1 hardly bothered with potty or training seat because her best friend just jumped on the loo. BF is actually a year older, but that never really registered. Age 15 and 16 it still doesn't bother them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now