Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Pants/Pull up/Potty refusal

(3 Posts)
pebbles1234 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:02:41

My DS is 2.10 now and I'm sure he's physically ready to potty/toilet train. (for ages has gone off on his own to poo, and mentions when he's doing a wee) I would have started earlier but have had severe hyperemisis for several months and am getting worried I've missed the best window of opportunity!

I've done everything by the book - let him choose potty/pants, read the 'Pirate Pete' story more times than I can remember, talked about using the potty/toilet. We had a go a few weeks ago but he got really upset when he had accidents and I didnt want to push it, so thought would leave for a while.

I started to talk to him again about it last week - saying next week we'll try the potty/toilet, wear big boy pants...etc etc but when I try and put the pants, or even a pull up on he gets so upset and starts crying no, I want my normal nappy. Whenever I ask him if he'd like to use the potty/toilet, or if he needs to then he just says 'no thank you mummy' - at least he's polite I suppose!!

DH says just leave it, he'll do it in own time - but new baby due in June, and he's 3 in May so am feeling time pressured. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

SarahBumBarer Sat 23-Mar-13 16:43:19

How long did you try for when you tried previously?

LittlePandaBear Sun 24-Mar-13 20:48:53

I have only started potty training my DD yesterday so I'm definitely no expert, but I've been reading a Supernanny toddler book with a chapter on potty training blush

She says that you need to be firm about what you expect from them - if you ask him of course he'll say no as he's not used to it. Maybe you need to 'tell' him what will happen and give him a chance to do it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: