Talk

Advanced search

My 3 year old is potty trained! But insists on doing Poos in his pants

(13 Posts)
part23 Thu 22-Nov-12 16:11:10

Help! My 3 year old Son mastered potty training quite quickly and happily sits on the grown up toilet for wee's but will not do a poo in the toilet or on the potty! It is becoming a nightmare, he holds on to it, which means there are many pants changes with little and often poo, I have been told this is normal! I disagree as my eldest Son never had this problem and I don't know of any other children who do this..... We tried a reward chart which failed miserably, we persisted for 4 weeks... This has been going on since the end of August.
He does the occassional 'plop' in the toilet then comes off saying he has finished, we know he hasn't, we put him back on and he goes into meltdown. Any ideas, suggestions would be great as I am fed up washing dirty pants, I have even left him in pooey pants to see if he gets the message- he doesn't.

OP’s posts: |
notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Thu 22-Nov-12 16:52:55

You've posted this in the wrong topic - you need to get it changed to potty training.

My ds (3.3) is going through exactly the same thing. He's been trained for wees since May and has managed a grand total of three poohs in the toilet in that time. And we've tried everything too. He did one of those three the other day and he got loads of praise and a little toy but the next day went back to doing it in his pants.

I've done a bit of googling and people seem to suggest letting him do it on the toilet in his pants to get used to doing it sitting down. The sitting down to pooh is definitely an issue for us, as he's not scared to sit on the toilet for wees (as isn't your ds). He will literally sit there for half an hour and do nothing and two minutes later when his pants are pulled up he'll go. But he definitely likes to go standing up.

The only thing that has saved our sanity is that he's got good at keeping it in so I'm not changing poohy pants on the go anymore (as I was doing a LOT of in the summer), and he generally only goes once a day (but isn't constipated).

Anyway, sorry I haven't been much use but I feel your pain. I'm trying to be as relaxed as possible about the whole thing, and advise investing in those cheap primark/supermarket packets of plain pants so you can just bin the really offensive ones!

Shaky Thu 22-Nov-12 17:00:26

I have a similar problem, ds is 3 next week. He does all his weeks in the toilet during the day and wears a nappy for bed. He will not poo on the toilet but does it in his nappy first thing in the morning, rarely in his pants. I suppose I'm lucky that I'm not dealing with dirty pants all the time but I really would like him to poo on the toilet.

part23 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:41:51

Thanks very much, I feel a bit better about this now that we are not the only ones suffering!

Note to Notasgreenascabbagelooking how do I move this to potty training? Am very new to this and it took me long enough to get this far!!

Shaky Thu 22-Nov-12 20:17:09

If you click on the report button in between add message and message poster up there ^^ you can ask MNHQ to move it for you

part23 Thu 22-Nov-12 20:57:04

Thank you Shaky!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Nov-12 21:17:22

Hi there

We've moved this to 'Potty training' now.

Shaky Thu 22-Nov-12 23:28:49

You're welcome part23

And thank you HQ x

birthdaypanic Thu 22-Nov-12 23:33:42

Same prob except dgs will only pooh in nappy, have tried everything praise the one time he did do it in potty praise was so ott toy, phoning everyone in close family, cheering etc no effect, tried being angry, ignoring e.g putting nappy on without any comment nothing works.

EugenesAxe Thu 22-Nov-12 23:50:34

It's really common so don't think it's just you. It features in Pirate Pete and that must cover the average experience.

DS 2.9 just been trained; he did this for 2-3 weeks and has just got better using the loo/potty - I have to know when to ask / put him on though. I made up a silly song in the monkeys jumping on the bed style, just in case it helps any of you; he laughs at it which helps relieve tension:

One little monkey pooing on the loo
It went splosh! and whoop-pee-doo!
Mumy said 'Hooray! That's what you do -
- all little monkeys should poo on the loo.'

Slightly contrived rhyming and scanning of words.

part23 Fri 23-Nov-12 20:04:00

Thank you everyone! I actually love the monkey song, we were singing it this morning! Fingers crossed it will help even if it is just my sanity!

Shaky Sat 24-Nov-12 01:33:37

I love the monkey song, I'm going to try that tomorrow

CCPP1 Wed 10-Jul-19 15:02:48

My son soon to be 3 years old will tell me when he needs a wee and go to the toilet to do but he used to pooh on the toilet and potty and has suddenly taken a step back and is telling me that he has poohed in his pants, sometimes he will say I need a pooh.. aka for I have just done a pooh. I have tried stickers and saying if you pooh on the potty then mummy will reward you, even that doesn't work. Suggestions welcomed? thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »