Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teaching to wipe. Help!

(6 Posts)
jessebuni Wed 21-Nov-12 13:03:41

My son is 3 and potty trained. I've been trying to teach him to wipe himself as he'll be going to school next year and whilst most schools in the uk don't mind helping children in this area they obviously expect that the child at least to be able to have a go themselves which is completely fair enough after all I wouldn't want to be a teacher if it meant wiping 30 odd kids bums.

However when I try to get my son to wipe he just stands up turns around and says "no you do it" and flat out refuses. It probably doesn't help that I've got a 4 month old baby so at the moment because he sees me feeding and changing her he wants feeding etc sometimes as he's feeling a bit resentful or left out. Still I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this topic.

carocaro Wed 21-Nov-12 19:38:31

wet loo roll is a good idea, however 3 is quite young to wipe themselves, I have 2 boys and the 5 yo still requires some help, he always poos like clockwork at home about 6.30pm, but does wipe at school on the rare occasion he poos. I think it's just easier to wipe for now, as he may not do it properly anyway and you end up with itchy pooy bum and skids! A quick wipe and off you go and you are happy and hassle free!

jessebuni Thu 22-Nov-12 10:53:28

I'm so glad someone else thinks 3 is quite young. I've seen so many posts about people saying there's has been wiping by themselves since they were three its been makin me wonder if I've been doing something wrong. Obviously I don't expect him to wipe himself properly straight away and will be supervising and assisting him until he is able to get it right but I was beginning to panic over the school thing. I'm hoping mine waits til he's home also!

megandraper Thu 22-Nov-12 11:05:17

I don't expect my 3yo to wipe himself - he is still using a potty for poos.

My 5yo wipes himself and has since he was almost 4 (and using the loo rather than the potty). When he started pre-school he would wipe himself there but still want me to do it at home. Now he does it all the time (thankfully!)

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 22-Nov-12 11:09:48

ds is 6 and still gets me to do a double check and do a last wipe if required. He tends not to poo at school and saves it for home.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 22-Nov-12 11:13:03

Am glad to see still needing help with wiping is okay at at 5 or 6 years. DS is 4.7 and sits on the loo when he's finished shouting "mmmmuuuummmm" he was trying to wipe himself but was using so much paper that DP has banned him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now