Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if it's too early?

(3 Posts)
ThroughTheRoundWindow Tue 20-Nov-12 12:59:49

We've had a potty for 3 or 4 weeks and let DD use it before bath times and nappy changes and had two wees in the potty. However, we are now on day 4 without nappies and there has been no success at all. Day 2 she was at least asking for the potty as she wet herself, but after spending yesterday at nursery today she won't even ask for the potty. She just goes and then says "oh dear darling" (in a wonderful and heartbreaking immitation of the way i say it.)

We've had loads of conversations along the lines of "where do you do wees?" "in the potty", and she is more than happy to sit on the potty for ages at a time reading books or whatever. But she will not/cannot make herself wee when she's on the potty or warn me when she's about to wee.

She is only 22 months so she might not be developmentally ready. But how do I know if that is the case, or if she just doesn't understand what I want her to do (or does understand but doesn't want to try)? How long do we struggle on before we give up?

I'm getting a bit desperate here so any advice gratefully recieved!

vladthedisorganised Tue 20-Nov-12 15:02:24

I don't know a lot about this, but if there's no progress at all after 4 days, I'd go back to nappies for a month and try again. My DD was about that age when we first tried, and seemed to get the general idea, but not the 'taking herself there' aspect at all. So I went back to nappies during the day for a month and kept offering the potty around bathtime when we'd had more success.

A couple of months later we tried again and she got the hang of it straight away. I would keep offering the potty at bathtime so she can still see that 'wees go in the potty' and keep taking her if she asks, but a pause of a month might help.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Tue 20-Nov-12 19:38:17

Thank Vlad, that is basically where I'm getting to. It is frustrating and dissapointing but that's the way potty training is meant to be I guess! If she wasn't such a banshee about nappy changes I wouldn't be so keen to get on with it early!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now