Talk

Advanced search

potty training

(8 Posts)
surreytrace Tue 16-Oct-12 08:15:20

Hi I have a 17 month old daughter and has been advanced on everything she is doing i have no idea what signs to look for to start potting training and what to do sad can anyone give me some advice to help me on our way

HiggsBoson Tue 16-Oct-12 08:39:32

My little girl was precocious with many things - knew all her shapes, colours, numbers to 20, alphabet and was speaking in lengthy, complex sentences by 15 months.

At 2.9 we are still struggling to get her to poo in the pot hmm

There is no correlation whatsoever between potty training success and intelligence - many of her friends the same age with little or no speech took to it very easily, so go figure!

If she can pre-empt poos and wees then some nappy-less time with a potty very close to hand, plus regular practice sitting on the potty should get you started.

surreytrace Tue 16-Oct-12 08:45:23

well she sits on her potty all the time but with her nappy on and walks round with it so no problem with sitting on it just wasn't sure if it was a good time to start or not

HiggsBoson Tue 16-Oct-12 08:49:41

Can she tell you before she does a poo/wee? I didn't start with D until she was 2.4, but I'm sure many other people who started much earlier will be able to advise. 17 months might be jumping the gun a little.

surreytrace Tue 16-Oct-12 08:52:20

no she cant say anything like that at the moment but when i do take her nappy off and let her walk around she stands round crossing her legs and when i do put a nappy back on fills her nappy like she was holding it

MrsBucketxx Tue 16-Oct-12 08:54:57

i think there are check lists on baby centre, ds is 2.8 now and we are getting mixed success with pooing in the potty.

i think you may be starting a little early but thats me.

EdgarAllanPond Tue 16-Oct-12 09:04:20

i do it by spending a week in my kitchen (hard floor) putting her on the potty after meals/sleeps/baths with a story/cbeebies and rewarding any wee that goes in with a sweet. lots of drinks and high-fibre food (no scrambled eggs)
i also demonstrate by wee-ing on the potty myself, saying how clever i am smile

they get the idea what to do, and hopefully then you can just take them every hour or so, until they start asking (some will do this straight away by non-lingual means)

my check list is -

child is about 18mo
child pays attention to you

EdgarAllanPond Tue 16-Oct-12 09:05:12

and 3 ) you have a spare week you don't mind spending at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now