Talk

Advanced search

my 2 1/2 yr old daughter

(14 Posts)
sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 09:48:28

I'm really struggling with potty training my daughter, I'm only 3 days in and am aware that it's a long battle but I was wondering if there's any tips anyone can give me?
She's completely not interested in the loo/potty, I've tried all roll plays with her teddies, rewards etc but at the moment she's now holding her wee in, I have her sitting on the loo for as long as 2 hours sometimes and nothing until I put her clothes on and she wees on the floor...
I'm just seeing if there are any tricks of the trade so to speak...

MamaGeekChic Sat 13-Oct-12 09:51:11

If she's not showing any interest she's probaby not ready. i'd try again in a few months.

sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 10:03:13

I didn't think she was ready but do you think at 2 1/2 she should be?

MamaGeekChic Sat 13-Oct-12 10:05:10

No not at all, they are all ready in their own time and even 3+ isn't unusual. Once she's ready it'll be much easier to train her.

Yika Sat 13-Oct-12 10:06:22

You sit her on the loo for 2 hours? Was that a typo or is this a joke?

sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 10:08:20

Thank you for your advice, like I said I feel inside that she's not ready but have seen friends children around the same age already potty trained and kinda felt like I should give it a go...you've helped a lot, thank you smile

MrsWembley Sat 13-Oct-12 10:09:57

I spent several months with my DD just putting her on the potty after her morning milk and again after her tea (we noticed a pattern in her poo timinggrin) and so, when it came to doing it properly, she was used to the idea and knew what the potty was for.

However, it did take two goes at doing it properly!grin I didn't believe people who said 'when they're ready, they're ready, and you can't force it'. When she was ready it took five days... several months and five days.gringrin

sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 10:22:51

I feel kinda relieved now, not so pressured...thank you.

Yika - The first time we tried with her potty she was on it for about 2 hours yes but I was sat with her, reading, I hoped that when she did a wee I could make a big song and dance of it...her potty plays a little song when she wees so i was trying to make it fun...I've now learnt that she is holding her wees in so that doesn't work smile

I think I might leave it for now, give it a go in months time smile

SirBoobAlot Sat 13-Oct-12 10:28:46

DS will be three in a month, and hasn't got the faintest bit of interest. He also doesn't tell me any more when he's done a wee or a poo, though he did for a while. We've got a potty, and sometimes he asks to sit on it, but more because he sees other children doing it at playschool. I'm working on the basis of you don't see teenagers still in nappies, so it will happen when he's ready smile

sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 10:34:32

I agree, thank you...the potty is always around so she's aware of it. I might try training pants, and call them special knickers so that she still feels like she shouldn't be doing wees in them and at the same time my carpet won't be covered in pools of wee smile

SirBoobAlot Sat 13-Oct-12 10:47:01

Everyone I've spoken to have said that pull ups just cause more confusion than anything else. Some people swear by them, though.

Yika Sat 13-Oct-12 12:27:10

Personally I wouldn't sit on the loo for 2 hours waiting for a wee and I've got mumsnet to amuse me! I'm no expert in potty training but the idea of that quite disturbs me! FWIW I am starting with my 2 yo DD in a very unsystematic way (whenever she's getting dressed or undressed, whenever I think of it, or whenever she shouts poo!) we are using pull ups and she likes them. I've never told her she shouldn't wee in them though. As far as I'm concerned she can wee in them until she wants to wee in the potty (she has occasionally managed it and applauds herself enthusiastically each time!)

sunriseshaker Sat 13-Oct-12 13:13:56

Thanks Yika...I think I am now more relaxed after all your (and the others) advice...thank you for all your help smile

Yika Sat 13-Oct-12 14:17:42

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now