Talk

Advanced search

Putting babies (BABIES!!) on the potty.

(8 Posts)
DraggleTailedWench Sun 07-Oct-12 20:16:09

Friends of mine have started to put their under 1 year olds on the potty regularly to 'get them used to it.' As someone currently enjoying baby being in a relatively easy stage where there is no new BIG THING, weaning sorted etc, the thought of already thinking about potty training is exhausting!

But, I will bow to the majority. Is this normal? Do many people do this?

AnyaKnowIt Sun 07-Oct-12 20:19:12

Its called Elimination Communication, not potty training.

Used to be quite common when washable nappies were the norm

DraggleTailedWench Sun 07-Oct-12 20:22:33

Ok, not sure they'd heard of that. But I'm happy to be educated.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 11-Oct-12 23:09:47

There's a book - The Diaper Free Baby. I forget who it's by. I read it and concluded it was too much like hard work.

RubberNeckerNicker Thu 11-Oct-12 23:17:13

We were a long way off Elimination Communication, but still put them on the potty from about 9 months, starting off at nappy changing times - so no real biggie, and definitely not hard work. You could have knocked me down with a feather when it started producing results!! DD didn't poo in her nappy after about 1yo and was clean and dry (even at night) before she was 2. Entirely her own choice, we just provided the potty grin.

DS took a bit longer - but that's boys for you.

They were always happy with the potty, no coercion or bribery involved (how can you under a year?).

SoggyMoggy Thu 11-Oct-12 23:19:36

I have been known to threaten to just sit my nephew on the potty when he's being changed. But that's just because he does the whole 'I'm naked I must pee on everyone!'

MyLastDuchess Sat 13-Oct-12 13:54:12

My friend has done EC with her DS from birth (he's now 18 months), seen it with my own eyes, v. Impressive!

Do what works for you.

SandyChick Sat 13-Oct-12 14:03:05

My parents did that with me when I was a baby.

I tried it with my ds when he was around 10 months. He would poop on his potty but I only did it when at home as it was too much hassle. I started sitting him on the toilet when he was 12 months (and walking) at bath time and he would go If he needed to. From then on he wouldn't poop in his nappy. We had a potty downstairs and he would say when he needed it or go on his own if he had no pants on. Only for poops tho weeing was still a bit hit and miss. He was potty trained by 16 months but we didn't so dry at night til between 2-2.5.

He was such an easy baby and is still easy now he's 5. We were pretty spoilt with him as we are now discovering with ds2 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now