Talk

Advanced search

tried to get dd2 dry at night, should we leave it for now?

(8 Posts)
ellliebelle Sun 30-Sep-12 22:09:44

Dd2 turned 3 at the begining of september and has been dry during the day for around 6 months. We decided last saturday to give it a go on a night and the first 5 nights she was dry then tbe last 4 nights she has been wet. Very confused as nothing seems to have changed no extra drinks before bed or anything so wondering if maybe she is just not ready and we should wait. Any ideas or advice?

BorisJohnsonsHair Sun 30-Sep-12 22:13:35

There's no hurry to be dry at night. I think it depends on lots of factors and many children aren't completely dry until they're much older than 3. I would put her in pull-up type nappies at night, and then when she's dry for say, 3 or 4 weeks, take them off and see how it goes. Good luck!

NonnoMum Sun 30-Sep-12 22:14:04

Not advice as such but from my experience it never seems to be a smooth 'chart' with nighttime training... I would say it is up to you... If you don't need to rush out to work in the morning and can face washing and drying the sheets then maybe stick with it, but if it is causing you massive extra hassle, then maybe persuade to go back into night pull ups??? (maybe don't call them nappies but perhaps nighttime pants or something if you do need to go down that route??)

CollieEye Sun 30-Sep-12 22:31:38

My DS is 5 next month. He's been day time potty trained since he was about 2.7, but he still wears 'night pants'. Most mornings they're wet. And to think I hoiked my judgey pants up at my friend's son still wearing nappies at night whilst going to school Kids do it when they're ready.

scrablet Sun 30-Sep-12 22:34:57

I'd wait.
(As an aside, I was given the suggestion of putting an extra layer of sheet and mattress protector on bed so could just strip down not remake. It made a big difference to the getting up with shivering wet child in the winter!)

Flisspaps Sun 30-Sep-12 22:39:54

AFAIK you cannot train a child to be dry at night - it's down to hormones, so you just need to wait for it to happen.

lljkk Sun 30-Sep-12 22:46:09

Agree it happens on its own or doesn't.
I wouldn't take night-time nappies off until I was sure they were consistently dry in morning (over at least 2 week period).

steppemum Sun 30-Sep-12 23:02:56

my ds was dry daytime at 2.4. But he took a year to be dry at night. He drank a lot during the day, and slept very heavily at night, so his bladder was full and he didn't wake up.
We got it in the end by taking him to the loo when we went to bed. We realised it was just volume, so weren't that bothered by all the discussion over this being a good or a bad thing, just needed to create some space in his bladder! As soon as we started he was dry at night. But we went on taking him at our bed time for a long time.

Don't stress, he is dry during the day which is the main thing. Leave it for a while and try again later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now