Talk

Advanced search

4.8yo and night time training

(6 Posts)
GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 29-Sep-12 21:59:48

I know this has been done before but, y'know... humour me smile

DD1 is 4.8, has been out of nappies for over 2 years daytime but is showing no signs of being dry at night. She's outgrown all the pullups and is now in Drynites. Her nappies are always wet in the morning, I can't remember it ever being dry.

It didn't bother me at all until she started school this month and now I feel that I should address it. I gather it's hormone related but WWYD? Do I just leave it until she shows signs of being dry? Should add that she still sleeps in with me and her 8mo sister so wet beds would be a shedload of hassle to change in the middle of the night!

notnowbernard Sat 29-Sep-12 22:02:38

Leave her for now

It is hormone related. They'll consider it a 'problem' from about 6-7yo

If she's still wet at 6 book a GP appt who should be able to refer you to the enuresis clinic

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 29-Sep-12 22:19:12

thanks smile I'm glad you said that. That's pretty much my feeling but sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't push it. I'll leave her be. She's not bothered in the slightest.

notnowbernard Sat 29-Sep-12 22:24:30

You can start getting her into good 'habits' though, if you want to...

No drinks 1 hr before bed
Wee-teeth-wee
Make sure she drinks plenty in the day (6-8 cups)
Avoid dark drinks

julesmb Mon 01-Oct-12 09:52:52

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat - my dd is 4 (5 in march), has started school, and was potty trained at the age of 2, but has never been dry at night. A friend told me I should just go for it - as she's a clever child and won't want to be wet at night. Last night was the first night and we had 3 separate changes of sheets, even though she didn't have a drink after 5 pm. Am exhausted and now wondering if we've done the right thing, but no turning back now. When you do decide to go for it, a tip someone told me was to have a potty by the side of the bed so they can literally just get out, do their stuff and then climb back into bed without having to go to the bathroom. I'm really hoping we aren't in for months of sleepless nights - so any other advice would be very gratefully received! Good luck with your dd x

bamboobutton Mon 01-Oct-12 10:00:15

jules, i would put her back in pullups. she obviously hasn't started releasing the hormone needed so why put up with months, maybe even years of wet bedding three or four times a night.

my ds will be 5 in feb and is still having full pullups in the morning, i'm not worried about it at all.

forcing the issue will not help or magically make your dd dry at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now