Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 4yo wets himself and soaks nappy/pjs/bed every night

(12 Posts)
OrangePetals Fri 21-Sep-12 13:31:12

DS has been in pants for 6 months with success up and down.

At the moment he will only wee if instructed to and doesn't seem to release it all iyswim.

So he might have an accident soon after but also seems to store alot of wee up for night.

The bed,nappy and pajamas are soaked every morning. I'm worried he will make himself ill holding on to his wee all day!

I don't want to put him back in nappies but it's becoming a real pita. I also suspect it is partly to do with baby DD who is 9mo and crawling round wrecking stuff but not sure what I can do about it.

lljkk Sat 22-Sep-12 12:11:17

Has he ever been consistently (at least 2 solid weeks) dry at night?

OrangePetals Mon 24-Sep-12 13:04:57

When you say dry at night do you mean no leaking?

RIBS Mon 24-Sep-12 13:38:58

Hi orange This is what i do.

My DD has just gone 4 and we've just (fingers crossed) cracked it. She goes to bed at 8. Nothing to drink after 7.30. When I go to bed, about half 10 -11, pick her up - still very much asleep and lolling about all over like a rag doll, and stick her on the loo. Ask her to wee, she does. Dry night ensues! It took a couple of nights to get her to wee on command whilst still asleep but it works. My mum said she used to do that with me. When I was younger obv, not lately! grin

I know its me being trained and not her. But she had started to pull off nappies cos she hated them and it beats changing wet sheets at 2am.

We were managing dry nappies for a week prior to this, but after that, it'd all go pear shaped.

Hope it helps. X

lljkk Tue 25-Sep-12 09:46:40

Yes, completely dry, bone dry in the mornings. Sounds like he should still be in pullups at night? Many this age are. Can't even get a GP to treat it as a problem until 7 years old.

Thelobsterswife Tue 25-Sep-12 09:51:40

Being dry at night is a hormonal thing. It is not something that can be trained. Put him back in pullups until they are consistently dry for a good few weeks. Lifting does work but it can backfire as you ar getting them to wee in their sleep, which is actually the opposite of what you want to happen. As pp says, it is not considered a prolem for a good few years from where you are at now, so I would save your sanity and your laundry bills and go back into the pullups.

CalamityKate Tue 25-Sep-12 10:01:42

They're ready when they're ready. Something to do with hormones apparently.

We were told it may run in families; DSS was nearly 12 before he was dry at night and my DS was 8.

funnypeculiar Tue 25-Sep-12 10:04:48

I wouldn't worry about nighttimes so early in the process - many kids aren't ready to be dry at night at the same time as they are dry in the day (as others have said, night dryness is hugely hormonally determined - not something you can learn)

I'd put him back into 'nighttime pants' (totally different to nappies!) at night & concentrate on daytime for now.

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 25-Sep-12 10:05:08

orange, do you mean he wears a nappy/pull up at night but he weed so much in it that it leaks? My DS is the same, although he is now 6yo. I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just watching thread. Because DS is older and still has accidents in the day too we're seeing a consultant at the hospital and he had said not to worry about night time wetting yet, they don't do anything about that till they're over 7 I think. The only other advice we've been given which might help is to make sure he's drinking enough during the day so that his bladder gets properly full and he can feel the need to wee, it might make him wee more in the day so he's not holding onto it and doing it at night.

weaselm4 Tue 25-Sep-12 10:17:46

Hi, we went through this. DS (now 6.5) wasn't dry during the day until 3.5, had poo accidents at school when he was 4.5.

He's only been dry at night for a few months, but it did all happen eventually.

I feel that he often struggles with "physical" things - he was a relatively late walker too, and is a little lacking in confidence with physical play and sport. He's much better with cognitive things like literacy and numeracy.

DD (3.5) by contrast is very coordinated, good at climbing, dancing etc and was really really easy to potty train.

I'm sure that it's just how some children are, and wanted to encourage you that it will happen!

kilmuir Tue 25-Sep-12 10:23:42

Think they need to be producing antidiuretic hormone . Helps concentrate the urine.
Boys can take longer at night to be dry.
Put him back in nappies/ pull ups.
Reduce evening drinks and try him on toilet before you go to bed
Not unusual at 4 to still need a nappy at night.

Thelobsterswife Tue 25-Sep-12 11:32:23

I have just re read the op and realise I misinterpreted. So he is basically not weeing during the day, and then saving it up for nighttime and he is soaking through a pullup? Also see that you have a baby. My DD1 went backwards in potty training when DD2 arrived on the scene. I think you either start again with him, taking him to the toilet every 30 minutes or whetever approach you took, or put him back in nappies during the day. I know how hard it is. I was gutted when my oldest girl regressed but it didn't last for too long. We have the odd accident but they are genuine too busy doing something else accidents. However, she was having accidents to get attention and I suspect you may be in the same boat. Poor you. Hope you get him sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now