Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of training 18month old

(12 Posts)
AGoldenOrange Thu 20-Sep-12 18:43:49

After having to get more treatment for nappy rash from the drs (have tried everything from egg whites to re-usable's). I getting a bit fed up to be honest.

I can tell when she is doing a wee or poo. Would it be worth giving it a go? She is a PFB so someone need to tell me what to do grin

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 20-Sep-12 20:04:05

No harm in trying.

I personally started on a warm day in the garden, naked bottom half, following close behind DD with potty in hand.

Then introduced it before bath time and in the morning.

You'll soon find out if it's too soon.

Good luck smile

AGoldenOrange Thu 20-Sep-12 20:07:04

Hmm warm day? What one of those grin

I think I will give it a go, thanks

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 20-Sep-12 20:11:00

Yep, they may be few and far between.

You could brave the house if you have wooden floors...

nextphase Thu 20-Sep-12 20:16:03

Give it a go. We've had toilets set up for little people for DS1, so DS2 gets to sit on the toilet first thing and at bath time, and nappy changes when were not in a rush. We've had some success - he's 16 months. I'm not about to take him out of nappies tho. Way back in the day, kids were trained much earlier than now.

TheOneWithTheHair Thu 20-Sep-12 20:18:37

Dd refused a nappy at 18 months but it took a while before she was reliable whereas my nephew was just 15 months and took to it straight away.

My advice is be prepared for many accidents but it will probably do her skin the world of good.

AGoldenOrange Thu 20-Sep-12 20:28:18

DD has started screaming when I do change her nappy, but not sure if thats due to her hating nappies or the rash.

I'm in no rush to get her reliable, just for the nappy free time but I don't want to confuse her iyswim

TheOneWithTheHair Thu 20-Sep-12 20:41:59

I think if you haven't got carpet or you're not bothered by a bit of mopping up I'd let her go nappy free as often as possible. Maybe tell her she only needs to wear a nappy when you go out?

Stick to it and she shouldn't get confused.

AGoldenOrange Thu 20-Sep-12 21:29:39

Have got carpet but have also got a carpet cleaner thank to the reflux

ohdarcy Wed 26-Sep-12 20:41:41

go for it. i have done gradual toilet introduction with mine since they were very small and ds1 was out of nappies about 20mths, ds2 hasn't taken to it quite so prodigiously he is 19mo now but i don't thnk he'll be far behind.. today he signed toilet during dinner, i let him down and he went to the bathroom and reached up and brought down the potty from on top of the drawers, sat down and did a wee! he is still in nappies but it is warm here so he is often naked at him which helps. still i did try one day with pants and he was fine with me but nursery said he had loads f accidents. though they only returned one set of wet clothes the rest dry. never figured that out. the other day he insisted on pants and i let him, he was dry until i put him in a nappy for his nap so ... they are absolutely capable if you give them the chance, and are patient!

fififrog Mon 08-Oct-12 21:48:27

V interested to hear how you get on. I also have 18month old who has terrible nappy rash constantly and also on special prescribed cream too... I think it's too early but It is soul destroying she is so afraid to have her poor little bottom wiped. If you have some success I might try too! Good luck!

NAR4 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:33:58

Wiping bottom with cooled Camomile tea is good for nappy rash. Also try skin salvation www.purepotions.co.uk its expensive but very good. My daughter was potty trained at 18 months. She just refused a nappy one day, so I told her she had to do all her wee on the potty to wear knickers. Only had the odd accident, often things such as getting knickers hooked on potty but not wanting me to help. A pair of wollen leggings will still let her bottom air, but soak up accidents, to save your carpet. Good luck.

Just a thought but some babies are allergic to certain makes of disposable nappies. When using reusable nappies you should give an extra rinse in the machine without soap powder, after washing, or they can still get nappy rash from any residual soap powder. Sorry if you are already doing this, but thought it worth checking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now