Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to rid laundry of the whiff of pooh??

(14 Posts)
cheeseycharlie Thu 20-Oct-11 18:39:52

We are a
M

cheeseycharlie Thu 20-Oct-11 18:47:25

Oops stupid iPhone hit send on thread above!

DS is about 5 weeks into training and doing ok on wees and so so on poohs. We get quite a few pooh accidents.

Before putting dirty pants in the washing machine I hand wash Off all the skid marks. And yet all my laundry and the inside of my machine now whiffs slightly but nOticeably of pooh. Grimness. I feel my whole world is pooh as it is!
Can any domestic goddesses help me with this please I don't want to have to throw all our stuff away!!

I am washing on a cottons cycle at 40 degrees using Ariel excel gel (the one with febreze in it) plus a scoop of Vanish oxi action and ecover fabric softener.
To sanitize the machine drum I have run it on a 95 degrees cycle with some bleach in the water but a whiff still remains. Machine is 2 yrs old and fairly good quality on the wash.

Thanks gang

juuule Thu 20-Oct-11 18:56:40

Washing soda in the soap drawer.

Hassled Thu 20-Oct-11 18:59:50

40 degrees isn't going to do it, no matter what the adverts tell you. 60 at least.

Is it possible you're so familiar with the smell of poo you're smelling it now when it isn't actually there?

peggyblackett Thu 20-Oct-11 19:06:23

Presoak in Biotex.

cheeseycharlie Thu 20-Oct-11 19:15:42

I can try 60 degrees but I thought that would destroy the elastane in my 2 month old's vests and sleep suits, and make the colours run?

Have since discovered that the smell is worse on the stuff that went through the dryer.

Hassled I know what you're saying and I might be over sensitive to the pong but have sniffed other clean laundry in the drawers upstairs and can definitely tell the difference sad

thereinmadnesslies Thu 20-Oct-11 19:42:55

I binned all soiled pants when DS1 was at this stage. I just bought cheap pants from tesco. Life is too short to be scraping poo off pants.

yellowvan Thu 20-Oct-11 19:47:09

No advice, but just to say I love an 'h' on the end of 'pooh'. Rarely see it these days <old>

wooooooooooooollyjo Thu 20-Oct-11 19:50:39

Napisan - good for fabric nappies and poo encrusted clothes (DD2 has just had a tummy bug). It can make colours run though. I clean the machine with it on a 60 wash.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Oct-11 19:52:30

Yes Presoak. Napisan is specifically for this and you can also add to the drawer of W machine
But also maybe buy more pants and wash the pooey ones together away from other laundry for a bit??
Biological washing powder (specifically Ariel) much much more fresher smelling if a bit harsh on clothes and skin IME
HTH and remember, this too will pass.

(usual MNHQ disclaimer about other laundry treatments being available)

Wooooooooooooooppity Thu 20-Oct-11 20:16:39

cheeseycharlie, read this thread too

cheeseycharlie Thu 20-Oct-11 23:10:35

Wooopity that article is bang on the money cheers! Off to the shop first thing for napisan or dettol or similar then rewash the lot at 60degrees and smarten up my laundry habits from here on in.

And honored by a post from mnhq too, what more could a girl ask for when drowning in pooH!!

SurprisEs Thu 20-Oct-11 23:19:46

Napisan is relatively cheap and works wonders. I loooooove the thing. Wilkinsons and sainsburys sell it.

SurprisEs Thu 20-Oct-11 23:22:29

Just to add that I also use napisan for all stains that don't come out in the first wash. Used it for DH very greasy uniform when he was a baker.

Amazing stuff, has never let me down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now