Talk

Advanced search

attempting night time dryness!

(6 Posts)
GruffaloReader Tue 18-Oct-11 10:07:57

hi there

my daughter was potty trained in the daytime at the age of 2 and a quarter
She's been fantastic at it and picked it up very easily.

Now, almost a year and a half later (she's 3 and a half) - i've attempted to go dry at nighttime.

she saw her cousins going to bed in knickers last weekend, so she's adamant to try herself.

So I bought some hippychick waterproof sheets, and some bed mats, and she slept last night without knickers! she did great until 5.50am this morning when she wet the bed. she was upset with herself but i said it didn't matter, we'll try again tonight - but she's saying that tonight she wants to wear a pull up (even though she's been really excited to go pull up free!). i said no no, let's try again, and it doesn't matter at all.

I only give her a little milk before bed now - but a good 45 mins, to 1hr before bed, so that she has a chance to wee before bed. also - a friend suggested i pick her up before i go to bed (around 11pm) and sit her on the loo for a wee then return her to bed - but i think this may defeat the object a bit, as she's not learning to control her own bladder or learning to wake up of her own accord when she wants a wee.

does anyone have any amazing tips or advice for how to make this work?

Thanks! thanks

girlywhirly Tue 18-Oct-11 11:17:52

Putting a child on the loo when you go to bed only really works if you wake the child fully so that they are aware of what they are doing. FWIW, I used to do this with my DS (MIL advice!) and it was hit and miss, sometimes wet, sometimes dry. I wouldn't do it now that I am better informed! If they aren't ready, it can't be rushed. She needs to be making the hormone that controls urine production during sleep, it sounds as though she's nearly there if you are sure she is dry until early morning, and she wakes as she is wetting.

One thing which could possibly make a difference is making sure she goes to the loo before she goes to sleep rather than when she gets into bed; it can be quite a long time between the two, when you take into account reading a story etc.

want2change Tue 18-Oct-11 21:09:44

how long before bed would you give them a last drink? my ds gets so thirsty before bed that i cant imagine him staying dry thru the night..

girlywhirly Wed 19-Oct-11 08:00:56

want2change, if your DS is always thirsty before bed it means he hasn't had enough to drink during the day, so look into ways of improving his liquid intake. I agree that drinking lots before bed won't give much opportunity to be dry at night. I would have thought last drink about an hour before going to bed for the last drink.

Goldberry Wed 19-Oct-11 08:09:00

My dd was potty-trained at 2.5 but not dry at night until she was 6! My mother went on and on about it and suggested I get her up around 10 or 11 to go to the toilet, but I always thought this was a completely pointless idea - that is training you, not the child. I maintained to my dm that when her body was ready, she would do it herself. Sure enough, one night she was dry. Only one accident since August.
I read somewhere that until their body makes enough of a certain hormone, they can't really stay dry in the night. I do always make sure she goes for a wee just before bed though.

Shakey1500 Fri 21-Oct-11 19:48:55

goldberry I've never understood the waking to go to the toilet either. Mind you I never understood training on a potty either.

Anyhow, my ds is 4, great during the day. Now it's half term I thought I'd attempt night time. He went to the toilet before bed, I checked him when I went to bed around 11.30pm he was dry. Didn't hear anything till 7.10am when he shouted that he'd wet his pants. No problem I thought, first night, bound to happen , not a big deal UNTIL I asked him-

Were you asleep?
No.
Awake?
Yes.
Did you feel it coming?
Oh yes.
So why didn't you go to the toilet?
I was busy playing with my camera...

I was a bit gobsmacked! Roll on a dry night tonight grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now