Talk

Advanced search

Help re potty training

(1 Post)
SleepyFergus Mon 17-Oct-11 10:02:43

looking for soem advice re potty training my DD. She's about to turn 2 in a few days, so I hadn't reckoned on this for a few months yet, but I think she's ready to go for it.

We've had a potty in the house (and at my mums where she spends 1.5 days a week) for a while now, just so she was used to it being around. She has on a couple of occasions sat on it, and done a wee, but I do thisnk this is coincidental, but we made a big deal out of it, praised her and she was very pleased with herself, takes interest in wiping her bum and then washing her hands. This is in part I think, due to being in nursery 2 days a week and seeing older children on the potty in their nappy changing room, so she is used to the whole, wipe/flush/wash hands process.

The last few days, she has refused to wear a nappy, saying 'potty-wee wee' so we go through the the potty and encourage her to sit on it, which she soemtimes does, but for a nanosecond, and then she stands up and says wee wee not coming. Fine we say, just let us know when wee wee is coming. This can last ages - like 1/2 hour or so, and we sit on floor reading books etc. This situation is usually 'resolved' becuase we will need to go somewhere and she has to wear a nappy. To this she raises merry hell - refuses point blank, and we've had to force one onto her which is distressing for her (and us!). Night-time isn't as big an issue, and we sometimes are able to get one on her via distraction (ie. watching tv) but she will spend a lot of time after her bath running around nappy-less for as long as she can get away with it. She's actually not enjoying getting dressed/undressed either at the moment, or having a bath - are these connected?

I made the mistake of giving her a pair of pants yesterday which she was thrilled with, so I think I'm answering my own question here in that she is ready, but just looking for any advice on how to deal with this. It's not an ideal time as both my DH and I are so busy at work at the moment to take time off to work on this, but there's never a good time really is there!

Any advice gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now