Talk

Advanced search

I have a great bribe toy for 3yo, how best to use?

(9 Posts)
titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:31:49

Dd would go wild for a woody toy, but need to use carefully to kickstart potty trng. Have just had baby, 4 wo, how to judge when I can start training and how use toy? Show her a pic of woody toy and say if she starts using loo for wee and poo I will get it? Her poos are truly awful and really ought to be going down the loo now...

boxoftricks Thu 13-Oct-11 23:40:38

I think it might be a bit hard for a 3yo to grasp the concept of delayed reward in this way. Having not potty trained any children yet, I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and not reply!
Im sure I read on a thread somewhere here that someone used to have a special toy that they only let the child play with as a reward for when they sat on the toilet, then used it etc etc.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:48:59

Star chart with a picture of the woody toy on it. Every wee or poo in the potty gets a star, full chart equals woody toy. The cbeebies ones are good for this. We did this with DS and the much coveted Ben 10 toys

titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:51:44

Haven't really done any proper training b4 now, how many stars ie ewes per day ? Dd is just 3.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:51:55

here

Worked very well with DS. He was ready for training though and just needed the extra bribery smile

titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:52:24

Bloody autocorrect wees not ewes

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:53:24

We did a star for every successful potty visit. Mostly used up all the spaces each day (and just added the extra sticker on the odd day he was a bit low. Lots of water helped)

groak Thu 13-Oct-11 23:57:09

Never underestimate the power of stickers.

I wouldn't even mention the woody toy until you think potty trainig can be deemed some sort of success and then use it as his suprise 'reward'

titferbrains Fri 14-Oct-11 00:04:54

Ok tks for the link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now