Talk

Advanced search

I have a great bribe toy for 3yo, how best to use?

(9 Posts)
titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:31:49

Dd would go wild for a woody toy, but need to use carefully to kickstart potty trng. Have just had baby, 4 wo, how to judge when I can start training and how use toy? Show her a pic of woody toy and say if she starts using loo for wee and poo I will get it? Her poos are truly awful and really ought to be going down the loo now...

boxoftricks Thu 13-Oct-11 23:40:38

I think it might be a bit hard for a 3yo to grasp the concept of delayed reward in this way. Having not potty trained any children yet, I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and not reply!
Im sure I read on a thread somewhere here that someone used to have a special toy that they only let the child play with as a reward for when they sat on the toilet, then used it etc etc.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:48:59

Star chart with a picture of the woody toy on it. Every wee or poo in the potty gets a star, full chart equals woody toy. The cbeebies ones are good for this. We did this with DS and the much coveted Ben 10 toys

titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:51:44

Haven't really done any proper training b4 now, how many stars ie ewes per day ? Dd is just 3.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:51:55

here

Worked very well with DS. He was ready for training though and just needed the extra bribery smile

titferbrains Thu 13-Oct-11 23:52:24

Bloody autocorrect wees not ewes

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 23:53:24

We did a star for every successful potty visit. Mostly used up all the spaces each day (and just added the extra sticker on the odd day he was a bit low. Lots of water helped)

groak Thu 13-Oct-11 23:57:09

Never underestimate the power of stickers.

I wouldn't even mention the woody toy until you think potty trainig can be deemed some sort of success and then use it as his suprise 'reward'

titferbrains Fri 14-Oct-11 00:04:54

Ok tks for the link

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: