Talk

Advanced search

Is a wee every 15 mins normal?! Need reassurance!!

(8 Posts)
MTB1 Sun 02-Oct-11 17:21:11

We are on day 3 of potty training. DD has just turned 2 and following a holiday to a villa that had a potty which DD thought was the best thing ever we thought we would give it a go this weekend. So far we have had lots and lots and lots more wee's on the potty, most after prompting, some self initiated. One poo near the potty and another in the nappy at nap time. 3 wee's in pants each day. So on the whole I think good yes? My concern is over the frequency which after a fairly large drink of water can be every 15 mins? If this continues I think we will be housebound forever?!! Is her bladder just too little?!! Nappies seem a whole lot easier and I am contemplating putting her back in them until she is 18!

PrinceRogersNelson Sun 02-Oct-11 17:26:34

If my DD is drinking normally (i.e. little and often) she will wee every 2 - 3 hours, or there abouts.
If she has a big drink she will have a couple of bigs pees about 15 minutes apart.

I would suggest that if she is not able to hold for a long time her bladder control may not be great and potty training may just be too much hassle.

I knew my DD was ready when she had a dry nappy at 11am after changing the overnight nappy.

Both of mine (1DS and 1DD) were 2 and 7 months when trained.

HTH

pocketfullofposies Sun 02-Oct-11 17:29:53

Trained my dd1 at 2.5 months and she has always been able to hold on for hours since that first point.

I though being able to hold on for two hours was a sign of readiness?

Golden rule for potty training reckon is if it's Still a big hassle after a week them leave it and try another time

MTB1 Sun 02-Oct-11 18:17:58

Thanks both, really useful and kind of what I expected. In nappies she was dry for more than 2 hours at a time, but it has been so hot that she has been drinking lots more than normal. Also thinking it could be the novelty factor of lots of praise? Will go with pocketfullofposies advice and if have lost the plot after a week will leave it for a while longer!

Sleepwhenidie Sun 02-Oct-11 18:24:17

Ah, I slightly disagree with the other posters, I would give it a bit of time and see how you go. My DD was just so chuffed with herself and thrilled the novelty of using the potty she used it all the time, we were shock at how frequently she managed to wee and I did wonder how we would ever get further than the end of our street without her needing the loo once we went out without a nappy grin. it wore off after a couple of weeks though, during which time we bit the bullet and went out. Once she was distracted by stuff we were doing/seeing she stopped weeing so often (and like most children, needed reminding/asking quite often).

rhetorician Mon 03-Oct-11 11:10:38

opposite issue here; seemingly DD (2.8) can hold onto wee for hours - e.g. got her up yesterday, dry nappy (this has happened both mornings that we have been potty training), she had a big wee (on the floor...) at about 9.30 and didn't wee again until after lunch. And then not again until about 5 shock. So she has great control, but won't actually wee on the potty....yet.

MTB1 Mon 03-Oct-11 19:30:51

Well a good day today by all accounts at nursery, no wee's in pants, all on the potty or toilet but did do a poo in her pants. They said she went of her own accord every 30 mins or they reminded her but think (hope?!) frequency may lessen as she gets more used to it....

Rhetorician, my niece did the same as your DD and still won't wee at pre-school but now goes on the toilet just fine at home, seems she just wanted to miss out the potty bit which could be a blessing?! Good luck

Atomant Wed 05-Oct-11 06:37:20

I agree with sleepwhenidie. DD was the same when we started 5 weeks ago it seemed like we heard 'need a pee pee!' about 100 times a day but tbh I think she was just excited at this new adventure of going to the toilet, up her little steps, then handwashing & us making a huge fuss of how clever she'd been for asking & making it there on time. After about a week it settled down into a more regular (longer) pattern. I was just grateful she wasn't weeing on the floor every half hour!
Sounds like it's going well, give it a couple of weeks & see how it goes.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now