Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when your dcs are ready to go without a pull up at night?

(6 Posts)
headfairy Mon 26-Sep-11 19:32:25

ds is just 4 (last week) and he's been asking to go without a pull up at night, but thing is his pull up is always really wet in the morning. Do I have to wait until he spontaneously stops peeing at night, or will the removal of his pull up make him wake up if he needs to pee at night?

Bunbaker Mon 26-Sep-11 19:35:17

In our case DD told me - "no nappy tonight mummy". I bit the bullet and never looked back.

headfairy Mon 26-Sep-11 19:36:51

bunbaker ds said to dh tonight that he didn't want to wear one, but I'm not sure if that's peer pressure or not. Apparently our nanny told him the other four year old she looks after doesn't wear a pull up at night hmm so maybe he's feeling a bit babyish. I'd rather he asked me because he felt he was ready, not because she told him four year olds don't wear them.

Nonsense1825 Mon 26-Sep-11 19:36:57

When my ds started asking (a similar age) I took him at his word, we had a few wet beds but I think that helped him work it out - I'd say give it a go for a few nights. If it's a disaster go back to pull ups and wait a few weeks. This worked for us, I think we had two false starts but it wasn't as big a drama as I feared it might be!

ladyintheradiator Mon 26-Sep-11 19:37:27

Is it wet because he is weeing during the night, or is he weeing immediately upon waking? With my DS we risked it because he had eczema and wearing anything was irritating it, but I was surprised when he didn't wee until the morning, so you've nothing to lose in giving it a try.

headfairy Mon 26-Sep-11 19:40:14

It feels pretty full as soon as he wakes up (he comes in to our bed most mornings for a cuddle) so I think he's peeing at night. He still has milk at bedtime so I'm quite tempted to try and persuade him to have it straight after tea, or at another time in the day to avoid him having too many fluids at night for a while.

I'm off for a couple of days now so I'm quite tempted to give it a go. I've got some of those drynites bedsheet things to protect the mattress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now