Talk

Advanced search

When did you first buy a potty?

(4 Posts)
Pfriend Sun 25-Sep-11 18:24:15

DS is 13 months. Am not in any rush whatsoever but wondered when to buy a potty or two to leave around in the bathroom to familiarise him with it?

brachy Sun 25-Sep-11 21:34:42

With DD, I bought one the day she announced "I'm not wearing that nappy anymore", I rushed out, got a potty and some pants. She was 24months and was trained in 3 days.
I got the potty out to dust it off...no intention of using it for DS. He used it from that day onwards. He was 22 months.
No prep with either kid...and pure fluke with DS!

HettyAmaretti Sun 25-Sep-11 21:49:17

About 10 months, DD was trained at about 18 or 19 months - it was a slow process and I just followed her lead. DS is 2.4 and has yet to show any interest in the pottys despite them always having been around...

HettyAmaretti Mon 26-Sep-11 10:15:06

Oh, having said that this very morning DS has suddenly decided to use the potty. First ever wee on it has been swiftly followed by two more and no 'accidents' as yet. Ho hum.

Having a potty about (used or unused) is always a good thing IMHO.

I see potty training achieving continence as a normal part of development, just like walking, crawling or speaking - some DC want / are able to exercise control over their bodily functions earlier and some later.

If we give them the means, in case of continence, information, naked time (when it suits us or they ask) and access to a potty or in the case of walking freedom of movement and a floor, they'll do it in their own time without training. Just like they do with any other aspect of development.

We don't say "sorry DC, you're only 10 months, no way are you allowed to walk yet" and strap them down until their first birthday or "right DC, you're 18 months now, time to walk, we're not leaving the house again until you can".

Get him a potty, talk to him about continence, let him see the rest of the family use the loo and see what happens. No pressure on him or you mind. If you get stressed about it hide the potty and 'forget' where it is and about naked time until you can hack him weeing all over stuff again wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now