Talk

Advanced search

How do you fit potty training in around everything else in life?

(10 Posts)
AutumnHues Thu 22-Sep-11 13:59:30

Just wondered how other people manage. Do you let the rest of the housework slip a bit or do you manage to do it ALL?
Also what to do on school runs / shopping?
Any advice welcome!

An0therName Thu 22-Sep-11 14:30:22

I arranged it so I didn't do much the first few days - school run didn't have it with my DS but I would probably have a potty visit as part of the morning routine- and depends how long it is - if they are ready they probably can managed 30 mins or so - and you could take the potty along if not
- we made a cushion out of nappies for car journeys/buggy
housework -if you are at home more then don't see the problem - its not that time consuming really - just a bit of a pain and sometimes messey
shopping - I don't like shopping with LO if can avoid it anyway and that would be so would do it in the evenings, internet, get DH to do it

Ooopsadaisy Thu 22-Sep-11 14:36:26

Hardest thing is to keep up the potty-training routine with child-carers.

My Dad was brilliant, My Mum useless. Certain friends were great, others clearly had a whole different approach to me.

The first week I made sure I was off work and didn't arrange to anything except what could be done with a potty in one hand.

Somehow, you get to point where you aren't constantly worrying where the nearest toilet is!

Cartoonjane Thu 22-Sep-11 14:43:47

Id say if the child is ready theres not much too it and it doesnt intetfere with routines or take up much time. If its proving tricky I'd put the nappies back on and wait a while. Also after potty training i put nappies on for car journeys of more than 20 mins or so.

AutumnHues Thu 22-Sep-11 19:05:28

DD is 2 years 10 mnths, we did try to potty train earlier in year but had no success.
School run is about a 10 minute walk (dd in pram).

inmysparetime Thu 22-Sep-11 19:34:55

Open a fresh nappy and put it in the seat of the buggy or car seat for school runs or shopping, that way seats don't get wee-stained but DC still gets the wet pants message. Ironically, giving DC more to drink while potty training makes the process faster, as they need the potty more often so more chances to learn the feeling.

cheeseycharlie Fri 23-Sep-11 15:09:28

It's an excellent question!
For anything out of the house you just have to swallow your pride and lug a potty around with you in a plastic bag. There is a product called a potette that's quite good and hygeinic, but basically you just need to have some form of potty to hand when the moment strikes.
When at home you just go with the flow and yes that means letting the housework slip.
Shopping? That's what the internet was invented for!

MrsBradleyCooper Fri 23-Sep-11 15:14:41

We stayed in for the first 3-4 days, but ds got it fairly quickly at age 3.0. We had tried at 2.5 but he was just weeing everywhere and very frequently. I definitely think picking the right age makes it so much easier.

Can you perhaps try in the half term break?

brachy Sun 25-Sep-11 21:43:04

When DS trained, we had 3 quiet days at home recovering from a trip to the inlaws. I bought disposable bed mats, chopped them into 4 and used them to line the car seat and supermarket trolley. A wee now before heading out to pick up DD works on the school run. I now have a potty in the back of the car that I sit him on before we go shopping. You'll also learn very quickly where every public toilet is in town!

AutumnHues Wed 28-Sep-11 18:39:23

Thanks for all your replies. Might give it another go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now