Talk

Advanced search

How to progress to toilet?

(11 Posts)
foxy123 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:13:16

My DD 2.11 has completely mastered the potty, wees and poos. However we can't move things on a step of being out and about as she flips out if I even suggest she try sitting on a toilet!

We've got one of those toilet training seats and I've also got her to accompany her neice who's just a year older and uses the toilet fine, but she is not having any of it...

Any suggestions/magic solutions?!

An0therName Mon 19-Sep-11 20:33:54

can you take your potty with you? I did this for a while - or you can get portable potties but my DS didn't like them either

foxy123 Tue 20-Sep-11 11:30:48

I have been thinking about investing in the portable potties, but I think my DD might also reject the idea of that too!

The reason I say this is my friend gave her a frog potty and she won't go near it.

Even if she did, I'm really keen for her to move to the toilet phase still?...

An0therName Tue 20-Sep-11 11:34:28

in that case unless its massive I would take your potty with you - it took around 6 months before my DS would consider the toilet

foxy123 Tue 20-Sep-11 11:52:05

oh really?! ok... it's so hard to know what is and isn't normal unless you know someone else that's gone through it... Did it just click one day, or did you do anything to 'help' him consider?

An0therName Tue 20-Sep-11 11:58:14

I think if I am right his friend was using it and so he wanted it too- also its a bit different for boys as he started doing stand up wees like daddy about the same time. There was a point where he would use the loo but sometimes perfered the potty and then we would make him use the potty in the bathroom, and after a while hid it - but that was when the general priciple was eshablished -
there is a good book no cry potty training solutions that I found useful
but I personally think you want to crack the out and about first

foxy123 Tue 20-Sep-11 12:13:46

I just feel a bit weird about pulling out a potty in the middle of a park or shopping centre? Or would I take the potty to the toilets in the shopping centre? What about when it's winter and she's in the park? Wouldn't it be a bit cold? I think I definitely need to take a look at that book...

thanks so much x

An0therName Tue 20-Sep-11 12:22:41

I would take her to the toilet in the shopping centre - and the park I would let her get on with it -she won't care -

Nevercan Tue 20-Sep-11 14:53:55

I currently take my potty out and about as my dd1 doesn't want to use the toilet. She doesn't care and I have got used to it so I just plonk her on it as and when required. She happily sat on it in the park today and I just try to find a relatively quiet spot or put it behind the pram. At the end of the day people are busy doing their own thing so they don't seem to take that much notice. I got a 95p potty from asda that is pretty small and easily fits under my pram smile

notcitrus Tue 20-Sep-11 15:10:15

My ds is the same, just 3 and uses any potty beautifully, and the child-size toilets at nursery with a step-stool, but he's too short to climb onto a toilet seat even with a step, so refuses totally.
So I carry a 99p potty in a bag with his spare clothes etc, and we go off to the Ladies as needed in shops or the park (or get out of the car and use a side road).

I figure he'll get there soon, especially as he's finally done some growing recently. Mastering the 'I need a wee' even when out was the vital part - using a toilet should be a doddle in comparison!

foxy123 Wed 21-Sep-11 14:20:37

Thanks so much guys so I have decided my next 'step' will be to take the potty out and about! I'll give up on the toilet idea for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now