Talk

Advanced search

I have no idea what we're doing help!!

(9 Posts)
gemdrop84 Thu 15-Sep-11 09:34:11

Hi, need a bit of advice re potty training as I feel completely out of my depth!! DD is 2.10 months, we started potty training about 3 weeks ago and moved from potty straight to the toilet. Doing well with wees,apart from the odd accident and she is even staying dry during a nap. She is not so keen on doing poos on the toilet but I understand this takes a bit longer for them to get to grips with.
She is happy wearing her 'big girl pants' (as she calls them!) during the day. I did buy some pull ups which she wears occasionally if we go out for the day, there have been a few accidents (at train station she told me she needed the loo but toilets were closed and she was upset having to do it in the pullups whilst racing to the other platform for the toilets =( ).
Does this all sound good progress/how it normally goes and where do we go from here? Is there anything more I can do to encourage her with the poos? Any books you can recommend or tips you care to share with me ladies would be appreciated. Thanks. x

jumpingtheshark Thu 15-Sep-11 12:51:15

It sounds okay from where I'm standing! My DS started about 5-6 weeks ago when he was 2.11. He is making what I would describe as veerryy slow progress - but it's progress as far as I'm concerned! Over this time, he has gone from point blank refusal/wetting himself to now weeing in the toilet, no accidents for a couple of weeks and only wearing nappies at night-time - or when he wants a poo. He has so far refused to poo in the potty or toilet and will go and get a nappy when he wants to poo. But this morning for the first time he asked to sit on the toilet and try and do a poo (don't think he actually needed one though!) - previously he has been scared of 'falling down the toilet' and so we bought a Thomas seat. I have been trying to be very laid back about it all in the hope that he will continue to progress and it seems to be working so far. Your DD sounds like she is also doing well. I would just keep praising her big-time and talking about using the toilet for poos, whilst not putting any pressure on and she will get there. Sometimes it feels like everyone else's DC were completely potty trained in just a weekend but like anything else, I think some take a bit longer. Oh - and I also felt like I hadn't got a clue what I was doing for a while!

jumpingtheshark Thu 15-Sep-11 13:11:14

STOP PRESS! Five minutes after my last post to you DS did his first poo in the potty. Slow but progress... grin

gemdrop84 Thu 15-Sep-11 18:19:51

how fab jumping!! it is a slooow progress but we're getting there! thanks x

chinateacup Thu 15-Sep-11 18:33:35

Sounds like great progress just keep enthusing and praising! Have * said cautiously* just cracked it with ds who is 2.9 after many false starts. Patience. And chocolate buttons. Plenty of both!

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Thu 15-Sep-11 18:40:01

Ok here goes and if i jinx my progress i'll have you! grin

My ds is 2.8 and for the last couple of months i kept our potty in the livingroom, letting him know if he wanted to go he could blah blah, well he would go now and then but then would ask for a nappy for a "jobby" his words not mine grin so i would, but on the run up to september, i let him know after the holidays he wouldn't have nappies any more as they are for babies, and have been reading pirate pete potty book (which is fab and he loves...a must buy) so when we came back from Spain last week, i told him that on saturday we could go choose some pants, so he did, (thomas, and pirate pants) and since sat he has worn them all day until bedtime, and has been going to his potty for both, he likes to take his potty behind the couch for poos but as long as they are in the potty i'm happy!

We even ventured out today to the museum with the potty in the buggy and he used it in the public toilets twice, and has been dry completely since monday!

So after that mammoth post, what i'm saying is...take your time, find what they are comfortable with and make it really enjoyable for them.. a treat if they do well is always appreciated too. My DS got a trip to B&M's yesterday for a Tom Thomas helicopter grin

gemdrop84 Fri 16-Sep-11 07:52:38

Aw well done to your little boy lisa, and a 'jobby'?! grin lol, I expect that type of wording from my dp rather than a toddler!! thanks for your advice ladies, will persist and get some treats. Havent been using treats so far, just a lot of enthusiasm and praise when she gets it right but its worth a try!!

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Fri 16-Sep-11 18:23:13

I know...no idea where he got that from but whatever grin

Yup treats, or a promise of a treat thing bought from a cheap-ish shop or what not works wonders!!! Lots of praise, and wolf whistling in this house hmmgrin

jumpingtheshark Fri 16-Sep-11 18:32:33

Treats were the only thing that got us started (a malteser per wee/poo!). I was a bit worried that his wife would still be having to give him a malteser every time he went to the toilet in fifty years time but as the weeks have gone by he has forgotten to ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now