Talk

Advanced search

My 3yr old DD will not do anything on the toilet.....4 days without a nappy and nothing! Help!

(4 Posts)
pottytraininghell Wed 14-Sep-11 13:46:34

This is the 3rd attempt at potty training, she is 3 in 2 weeks. (she has a 8yr old brother and watches him on the loo regularly) I have removed nappies for the last 4 days, all day, and she has expertly poo'd and wee'd all over the house and garden.

She will happily sit on the loo/trainer seat/potty, loves to chat whilst sat there, waves goodbye to nothing as we flush. BUT she will not do anything. She is obviously holding it in and then has accidents.

She tells me she needs the loo, we rush to the toilet, she sits, but nada, nothing. Then she gets up and carries on with what she was doing.

I know she knows when to go, she's great at telling me, but just gets stage fright. I've asked nursery to take her with others for the rest of this week, so she can see her friends doing it, plus I have bought some sparkly hairgrips to use as bribery.

She now has nursery for 3 days, so I'll be whipping off the nappy again sat. I have not asked nursery to continue without nappies this week as I don't want it become a 'huge' issue - i know it already is, so don't want to worsen it.

Any ideas/help? Is this normal??

Madlizzy Wed 14-Sep-11 13:48:29

Keep her in nappies for a few more weeks then try again. Whilst she may be physically ready, it doesn't sound like she is emotionally ready. Keep everything low key and it needn't be an issue. If you go more at her pace, she'll do it herself.

pottytraininghell Wed 14-Sep-11 13:51:08

I def get the impression once she's decided she'll use the toilet, that'll be it and we won't have any accidents. Its all on her terms though.

My DS was great, straight to the loo, no issues. But then again, it was the time when he discovered his privates could be angled and going to the loo could be fun!

jasminerice Wed 14-Sep-11 13:52:44

I agree. Leave it for a while. My DS was the last one in his nursery to be toilet trained. He was 3y and 9m when he cracked it. But he got in within 2 days with no accidents. Bide your time. She'll be ready when she's ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now