Talk

Advanced search

3 year old won't try bum-wiping, starting nursery next week!

(9 Posts)
TimeWasting Sat 03-Sep-11 19:57:49

Started potty-training early June, gone well, he pulls his trousers down, won't pull them back up, but figure that's the least of our worries as there is a refusal to even attempt to wipe his bum.

I'm not even sure how to teach him. Are they supposed to reach round the back? If they have to reach underneath will their bits get poopy?
I and he have got quite short arms (true, honestly) and I really think he's going to struggle anyway.

simpson Sat 03-Sep-11 20:01:21

I have no advice sorry but just posting to let you know you are not alone.

DD (3) also starts nursery school next wk and cannot wipe her own bum either <<sigh>>

She is fine with wees but poos are not cracked at all

<<trying not to panic emoticon>>

She is also likely to run around with her clothes round her ankles shouting "I can't do it!!" blush

Luckily we have a settling in session first where I stay with her so hoping to let staff know then....

NoNoNoMYDoIt Sat 03-Sep-11 20:03:00

i have a 5 year old who also pleads incompetence at bum wiping. he has done a year in reception yet still calls me to wipe his own bum.

however he has never had a problem at school. there have been the occasional faint skid marks but ... believe me, they manage. they soon learn to poo when they come home from school. DS will poo 3 times between 3.30pm and 7pm. really - not an issue!

TimeWasting Sun 04-Sep-11 10:50:36

I'll persevere this week. Talk to him about bum-wiping a lot. hmm grin

Hope he just learns to poo before bed soon.

wonkylegs Sun 04-Sep-11 22:33:31

Mine won't do it either, he's been potty trained in the day since just before he was 2 but he's now 3.3 and still refuses to do it at home, altho I'm assured he does it at nursery ( I think the occasional skiddy pants attest to the fact that he probably is the person responsible for wiping in the day ... I hope )
At home he steadfastly refuses to and won't let anybody but lucky mummy do it if I'm in the house.
He also refuses to sit on the toilet at home preferring his potty despite being fine to use one everywhere else.

chocolateyclur Sun 04-Sep-11 22:59:38

Mine will have a go, but it's a bit like a t-Rex trying at the moment. He seems to be doing more breakfast time poos now though. Mmm.

piprabbit Sun 04-Sep-11 23:10:18

My DS started nursery class last Friday - he was in nappies up until Friday morning, when he decided he was going to wear pants to nursery. Since then he has not worn a nappy during the day and had no accidents at all today - but wiping is not an issue we've even attempted yet.

FWIW nursery are very relaxed and happy to help whatever stage of potty training they are at. If your nursery are similar then they will just quietly guide him through it with minimal fuss.

P.S. He has actually been at the nursery since January - but has only just moved up to nursery class IYSWIM.

rushofbloodtothefeet Sun 04-Sep-11 23:13:17

My 4.5yo gamely has a go, but I still need to finish the job. I seriously don't think her arms are long enough. We even tried resorting to her wiping standing up (very much against my better principles in the wiping standing/sitting debate shock)

grin

TimeWasting Mon 05-Sep-11 07:45:42

We had a bum-wiping tutorial this morning while I was on the loo this morning. grin He was paying attention, if we do that a few times he might at least start attempting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now