Talk

Advanced search

16mth old giving signals to potty train? Do I or No?

(6 Posts)
NikkiTwinkle Sat 03-Sep-11 09:46:24

Hi
I have a 16mth old DD who is in far to much of a hurry to grow up! I think she's giving me signals that she's ready to potty train or at least she tells me before she's filled her nappy. She has bough me a nappy or her changing mat and when checking her she was still clean, anyway a few mins later she's filled her pants. I thought it was a fluke first couple of times, but again this morning she came to be actively wiping her nappy with a tissue, again not dirty, then just after I'd checked she filled her pants.
Do I react to the signals and whip her nappy off quick and sit her on the toilet or potty?
I'm more than happy to go with her signals as my DS told me he wanted out of nappys and wanted pants at 2yrs 4mths, way before any of his friends and Nursery were quite surprised too.
Not sure what to do or the approach to make with her so some advise would be good, will visit my HV but next clinic isn't until Friday. I also need to speak to Nursery to see if they're happy (she does 3 days).
Any advise please?
Thanks
Nikki

Catslikehats Sat 03-Sep-11 09:51:59

I potty trained DC1 at 16mths. Similar situation, plus she'd remove nappy as soon as she'd soiled it.

Thought I'd give it a go and 1st day she had pee'd four times on carpet before 9am so thought I'd made a terrible mistake but by day 3 she was dry and she rarely had an accident (really only if she fell asleep in bauggy/car)

I'm glad we did it but with hindsight it did make for a very long period of accompanied toilet trips!

ChippingIn Sat 03-Sep-11 09:55:18

I definitely would. I can't see any reason why not at all.

She is your child - it's not up to the nursery to decide whether it's OK or not.

<I was out of nappies (night time too) at 16 months>

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 03-Sep-11 09:58:38

Another vote for doing it. DD is 18 moths old and potty trained. She decided and it was easy (except that she held onto poos until she had a nappy on for her nap). We haven't had any accidents. But her speech is quite good too so she can tell me 'I need wee wee mama'. She can also take off her own pants etc so can take herself off to the potty if she needs to. Nappies are expensive and if you think she's ready then give it a go. If it doesn't work, then you can always go back to nappies.

LawrieMarlow Sat 03-Sep-11 10:02:38

DD decided no more nappies at 19 months (wanted to be like her big brother smile) Personally if I were doing it again I would have tried harder to dissuade her, although she had reusable nappies and was managing to take them off as she went "Eeeeee" (her speech was not quite so good) so it would have possibly have been hard to stop her. DS was about 2.3 I think and it was easier then as it needed less of my input and probably overall it took longer for DD to be reliably trained.

But having said that I think it wouldn't harm to give it a try smile

jazzandh Sat 03-Sep-11 10:29:11

I certainly would, even if only reacting to her cues for a poo at this point.

My DS was trained by 20 months (1 week) and DS2 (10 months) hasn't had a dirty nappy for 2 months (been sitting on the potty since 7 month)- so it is quite possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now