Talk

Advanced search

Dry night after 2 days of potty training, shall i do the whole thing in one go??

(13 Posts)
mumtonwg Thu 25-Aug-11 10:42:28

With my other two kids I did potty training in the day time and nappies for sleeps. It worked fine for my daughter at 3 to move on to dry nights but my son took ages. (He's fine now, aged 6) Does anybody have any experience of doing potty training day and night at the same time? Many thanks.

Seona1973 Thu 25-Aug-11 18:25:48

I would leave it for a short while so you can see if the dry night is a one off - once your lo is consistently dry in the morning you can remove the night time nappy.

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Aug-11 18:31:16

My DS was similar - took to potty training quickly and dry at night straight away. I gave it about 3 weeks of nappies at night, then went for it. I accident in 3 months.

gingerolivia Thu 25-Aug-11 18:48:00

potty trained our DD at nearly 3 yr old and she was dry at night straight away - I stuck with pull ups for a couple of months just in case and then ditched them. weirdly she started sleeping thru at the same time so can only assume she was waking when she weed!!

mumtonwg Thu 25-Aug-11 21:21:33

Thanks for that. Good advice. I'll wait and see what happens. DS1 started the same way and then got lazy and i wondered if it was possible to avoid that same senario but DS2 may well be different?! I'll stop fretting and let him guide me!

BlueArmyGirl Thu 25-Aug-11 21:26:08

My two were both the same, though different ages. Got dry during the day and then for the next three or so nights woke in the night to to go to the loo and were dry in the morning. I though they were too young to manage through the night so kept them in pull ups - worst decision I could have made, it was years ( and that is no exaggeration) before either of them were dry at night again. If I was in the same situation now as I was then I would weather the storm of (what I hope would be) a few broken nights as they woke to go to the loo for the longer term benefits.

Littlefish Thu 25-Aug-11 21:27:48

I did the same as ginerolivia. Dd got the hang of daytime dryness in a couple of days, and simultaneously seemed to be dry at night too. We left her in pull-ups for a couple of weeks until we were really sure and then just stopped using the pull-ups.

bessie26 Thu 25-Aug-11 22:41:11

DH & I were wondering this yesterday. DD1 (2.10) started potty training about 10 days ago & has been dry for naps & at night for most of the last week which we weren't expecting at all! I thought it took ages for them to be dry at night!

So do they wake you when they want a wee in the night? Or do they wipe & flush the wee away themselves? I have visions of DD1 spilling the potty over the bathroom floor & then waking me up to demand a sticker!!

BlueArmyGirl Fri 26-Aug-11 07:12:21

Mine, DD (2yo) and DS (2.5yo) used to wake and call for us - gate across bedroom door. Sometimes, especially DD, they would whimper or cry and that was usually a precursor to them waking and needing to go NOW!

nimbs Fri 26-Aug-11 07:43:57

DD2 (2.8) is the same -she's been potty training about a month now - and is dry at night too, we ditched the pull ups after night 3 of dry nights, basically she hasn't woken for a wee just goes in the morning.

Like another poster said, my DS (now 7) was the same as his sister,I didn't think he would be and kept him in nappies, it took a year to get him dry in the night.

On the other hand DD1 who is 5 is still in pull ups at night -and she is soaking in the morning- all kids & their bladders are different!!

BlueArmyGirl Sat 27-Aug-11 08:48:47

Despite DS waking at 2.5, he was 7 before he achieved night time continence - I wonder how different it would have been if I had gone with the flow and kept him out of nappies when he first started.

brettgirl2 Sun 04-Sep-11 10:56:03

I was about to post the same question - think I will go for it as my daughter has been dry for 5 of the last 6 nights....Just waiting then for the waterproof mattress protector I've ordered online......not that confident lol.

HoneyPablo Sun 04-Sep-11 10:59:59

Night-time dryness is totally different to training for daytime dryness. It is much more dependent on hormone production and muscle control. It's something that happens naturally, when the child is ready, rather than something you can train for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now