Talk

Advanced search

5 year old just started training at night and not going well

(15 Posts)
cheesesarnie Fri 12-Aug-11 11:59:50

the school nurse said we should take away his night nappy,i wasnt bothered as he just wees so much!he decided after looking at the leaflets that he wanted to do it.

its been 2 weeks,apart from the first night hes wet every night.what can i do?

An0therName Fri 12-Aug-11 12:18:50

hi - the school nurse said this to us with my DS also 5 - it didn't help so I put him back in pull ups. We are going to try again in a week or so as his pull up is dry mostly now What she did say which does seem to help is that the last wee before bed should be a sit down wee as it helps them empty the bladder - otherwise it could just be a time thing

cheesesarnie Fri 12-Aug-11 12:22:11

oooh might try getting him to sit down and wee.
do you wake him or do the lift thing?school nurse told us not too.

HoneyPablo Fri 12-Aug-11 12:25:04

You can't train for night-time dryness. it is reliant on muscle development and hormone secretion.
Wait until he has had a whole week with dry nappies before making him go without and encourage him to go last thing at night and first thing in the morning. He might be dry all night but still take the easy option and wee in the nappy in the morning.

An0therName Fri 12-Aug-11 12:39:05

no - I did try lifting and it made no difference and just upset him. I think the nurse just suggest trying without nappies as it sometimes workedbut I think she said just try it for 2 weeks
Also Ds was a bit upset he wasn't dry so I told him that I took a long time to get dry -which was true and that helped

cheesesarnie Fri 12-Aug-11 14:20:49

honey,thats why i hadnt bothered before.i filled in a questionaire at school and said although hes still in nappies it wasnt an issue.next thing all this info arrives.
ds isnt upset or at all bothered to wake up wet.

colditz Fri 12-Aug-11 14:23:44

School nurse toldme not to wake with Ds1 and he was still wet at 7. With Ds2 I ignored her and I wake him up at midnight before I go to bed. The only times he is wet is whan I forget.

HTH

cheesesarnie Fri 12-Aug-11 14:48:46

thanks.might try it.her leaflets said nothing about cutting out drinks and i cant remember doing it with older 2(so long ago)but friend said he should have no drinks 2 hours before bed.

girlywhirly Fri 12-Aug-11 15:59:52

Cheesesarnie, there is a thread lower down the page entitled 'lifting at night' started by lorililee, I have contributed some posts largely based on experience and also information from a school nurse which you might find helpful.

It seems as though some children react to certain drinks which doesn't help their night wetting, also some don't drink enough in the day and then drink lots through late afternoon and evening due to thirst, and also having drinks just before bed and water available all night isn't going to help them stay dry either. Essentially, it is developmental, but filling yourself with liquid isn't going to help even when dry at night normally.

pranma Tue 16-Aug-11 14:01:14

My dgs will be 5 in September and left off night pullups around 10 months ago.If he is lifted about 11 he wees without waking and is dry in the morning.If he is left he is often [not always] wet.He got upset at the idea of night pullups so they just lift him.I did this with ds 40 years ago and stopped when he was 6.He had occasional accidents[once a fortnightish I think] but was fine in general.Dgs' younger brother now 2.6 was completely dry day and night about a month ago.It varies so much.

cheesesarnie Sat 20-Aug-11 15:52:01

thankyou.i will read thread.its so upsetting.and hes just not bothered.

shushpenfold Sat 20-Aug-11 15:54:12

The school nurse ought to be shot. I have 3 children, one was out at 7, one was out at 5 and one out at 2 - did nothing different. They are either ready or not ready. Enjoy your lovely son and go with your instinct.

cheesesarnie Sat 20-Aug-11 17:41:11

thankssmile

barnowl Sat 27-Aug-11 21:14:23

Our school nurse refered us to the continence clinic when DS1 was in year R and wetting at night they were great gave us lots of advice, and an alarm that wakes them as soon as they start wetting that worked really well.

cheesesarnie Sat 27-Aug-11 21:30:14

thankyou.he managed last night but it was once after a week or two.i want to pull my hair out.think i might have to phone gp on tuesday.he wont go back in nappies but is happy to lie in bed soaked with wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now