Talk

Advanced search

"Mummy, I was having too much fun to go to the toilet"

(2 Posts)
Birdsnotbees Fri 05-Aug-11 21:05:42

After some advice please! DS is 3.5 and has been potty trained since he was 2. He's been great but the past month he has been wetting himself - he says it's because he's having too much fun, i.e. doesn't want to stop what he's doing. It's annoying as I can ask him 5 times if he needs the loo, he's adamant he doesn't, and then a few minutes later has wet himself.

DH thinks we should start getting tough. I'm not so sure. DS is very sensitive, sensible and is possibly the best behaved toddler you're likely to meet. I'm not showing off (honest) - this does bring with it it's own problems as he can be over-sensitive, hates big groups, loud noise etc. As a consequence we go easy on discipline, not because we're soft but because we don't need to do much. Often, a 'look' is enough to sort DS out; sometimes anything more than that can devastate him. I have worked really hard lately to build his self-confidence in time for school starting, and to get him used to being in a world that he does sometimes find difficult to deal with.

We also have a 5 month old DD. She's very hard work (I have posted recently about sleep and bf-ing). I am looking after both full-time until DS starts school and basically I think this is a reaction to the 5 months of my attention being focused on the baby, or of me being tired all the time.

Anyway, if you're still reading (!), what would you do? Get tough as DH thinks? Try positive reinforcement? Ignore it? Any advice or similar experiences very welcome. Thank you!

Zipitydoda Fri 05-Aug-11 22:55:45

I have 2 DSs who were always too busy to go to the loo. DS1 is 6 and still has the occasional wet spot on his pants but I tried everything with him; sticker charts, positive methods and getting tough and cross and nothing made much difference. He hasn't had a proper wetting accident since he started school and the embarrassment factor kicked in.
DS2 age 3 is still wetting himself regularly due to not being bothered to go to the loo if he's busy. It's hard not to get cross but I kind of know it won't make any difference, I keep spare pants downstairs and get him to change himself as I also have a newborn. I tell myself he won't be doing it forever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now