Talk

Advanced search

Is not weeing or pooing for 10+ hours likely to cause health issues? Anyone elses lo just not going?

(4 Posts)
bootus Thu 04-Aug-11 17:48:50

Advice much appreciated. My DS is 3 next month. Has show little interest in potty training at all. We decided to give it a go this week due to warm weather/dad being at home to help etc. I'm totally lost with what to do as getting mixed messages from everyone; basically he hasnt done one wee or poo in the day at all since monday (this from a boy who religiously poos 3 times a day when wearing a nappy). He has done 3 v.small 'dribbles' in his pants. On night 2 when the nappy was on for bed he did a huge poo which had to be changed and he was then awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night. We have beeen very relaxed about it all, asking him if he wants to use the toilet or potty every hour, this is usually met with a resounding 'no' which we just just say 'ok, let us know if you do'. He has sat on both a few times and doesnt seem at all distressed on either, he just wont go. My concern is that holding in wee or poo will give him a uti and/or constipation. Its been suggested to me that he obviously knows when he wants one to hold it in, but I disagree, I dont think he has the maturity to think 'i need to wee but wont so will hold it' therefore I think its a subconscious thing. Someone else has said if we put him back in nappies he's 'won', but is it better to just give it a break, leave it a few more weeks and try again? Or if its unlikely to cause problems then carry on until he eventually goes.....??

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 04-Aug-11 18:26:59

okay

a few potty training bootcamp pointers:

don't ask, TAKE them to the toilet/potty every hour

big whoops for sitting even if no wee or poo

increase fluid intake to produce more urine (more drinks, more watery food ie cucumber, oranges, ice lollies)

wee control often comes before poos, and v common for child to poo as soon as night nappy on

I'm not sure about UTI thing, but if you increase fluid intake then you are going to avoid that anyway

bootus Thu 04-Aug-11 19:40:14

Thankyou for your response; its so silly but got myself into a real tizz about this as dont want to cause any problems in trying to toilet train. Any more advice gratefully received.

SurelyNotMe Wed 10-Aug-11 23:56:40

bootus no advice from me I'm afraid but we are in a similar boat. Started a bit of potty training over the last week or so but went 'cold turkey' today. DD only weed twice all day (despite being plyed with lots of fluids) - one on the floor (she looked horrified) and one on the toilet (which I think was just luck!). One very tiny poo in her knickers but she stopped as soon as she realised she had no nappy on, and held it in for the rest of the day (she looked really uncomfy all afternoon, lots of squirming and standing on tiptoes).

No help I'm afraid but you are not alone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now