Talk

Advanced search

day 1 of ds poty training: 2.10yr old.. does this sound like i should persevere?

(8 Posts)
groak Thu 28-Jul-11 14:56:24

... dd was brilliant at potty training, so ds i think has decided to pay me out for that breeze of job by driving me crackers!

Gone tghrough about 7 pair wet pants (now butt nekked!) managed 2 wees on potty, one purely because he was sat there while i read his favourite book 3 times so bit of a cheat, second one i was out of room so not sure if that was a fluke.

Bless him, he doesn'tseem to be aware of when he is due to have a wee, and having wooden floors means he thinks he's got pudles to jump in... hmm

do you think a couyple of days hardcore in teh house chasing teh puddles might help train him up or dioes this sound like i should abanon for a month or so?

Cheers

Mobly Fri 29-Jul-11 11:40:12

Well, the key question is do you think he is ready? If he has no idea when he is about to do a wee then that sounds to me like he isn't ready.

He needs a little bit of bladder control and he needs to be able to know when he is about to do a wee/poo and communicate that to you. If he can't do this then it's a bit like setting him up to fail in my honest opinion.

CokeFan Fri 29-Jul-11 11:50:24

Our first day with dd was like that (also 2.10). Day 2 she made it to the potty most of the time but was not wearing anything and going every 5 minutes (very tiring). Day 3 onwards got a bit better - started wearing underwear but anything else was too much. We've stayed in most of the time.

Fast forward 1 week and she's now fully clothed and taking herself to the potty (with me following close behind to help with clothes and clean up.) She still has occasional accident where she's started going a bit but then stopped herself and raced to the potty.

I'd say don't give up just yet without giving it a few more days. Remember they're going from not having to worry about how often they go or where they are to suddenly having to anticipate and be in a specific place and remember to remove clothes etc.

NellyTheElephant Fri 29-Jul-11 21:39:22

I think you need to give it at least 3 or 4 days before you even begin to consider whether there is any hope! Also - stick with no pants for the first couple of days if you can. 2 wees in the potty is great - I hope you gave him lots of chocolate - nothing like a bit of bribery and positive reinforcement to get things going!

z1rconia Fri 29-Jul-11 21:56:20

We're apparently due some scorching weather. Into the garden as often as possible,in shorts (easily washable) with no potty. Straight to the loo everytime anything happens. At nearly 3,he should be fine. My motivation (yes ,mine) was the fact that he was due to start nursery school,and they didn't 'do' nappies.

groak Sat 30-Jul-11 19:29:49

thanks for updates, after nearly a full day of weeing without realising it, he has used his potty rneasrly al the time! did his first poo today... next to the potty. lokked genuinely amazed when i picked t up (with a wipe) and dfropped it in the potty and said 'look, you poo in there! in the potty!' to which ds just said 'oh wooooow' grin

CokeFan Sun 31-Jul-11 16:29:32

Well done little groak! Sounds like he's geting it.

groak Sat 06-Aug-11 20:57:27

Cokefan, thanks for your posts.. ds seems to be similar to your dd.

ds has been for the past few nights had (whisper it) a dry nappy on a morning. I'm getting holidays out of the way and if this continues.. oh, I can genuinely barely conceal my giddiness at potentially never using nappies again (hopefully!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now