Talk

Advanced search

Toilet seat inserts

(15 Posts)
Biscuitsandtea Mon 25-Jul-11 07:44:30

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a toilet seat insert? We have been using the plain pale blue one from John Lewis which seemed ok but when DS tries to get on it, it doesn't seem to fit inside our seat snugly enough so it slides backwards and then he is either sat right at the front (so his bits aren't in) or it sort of pops out the back which obviously doesn't work!

I really want one he can get on and off himself safely as it seems to defeat the object if I have to lift him on.

It's not that I mind lifting him on but it would be nice if he could do it himself if he so chooses.

He isn't actually potty trained yet but does sometimes ask to sit on the toilet so want everything to be as easy as possible for him!

Thanks

Biscuitsandtea Wed 27-Jul-11 06:37:49

Bump - anyone?

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 07:25:54

Bump anyone?

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Thu 01-Sep-11 07:32:23

Tbh I've not used one. Nursery didn't so seemed silly when she was spending half her time there. Plus what happens when you go out and all the toilets are without then?

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 07:37:50

Its jsut that DS's bottom doesn't seem big enough to sit on the normal seat - he doesn't seem to be able to support himself on it and then obviously isn't relaxed enough to do anything. If I end up holding him over the toilet he's not in the right position to 'do' anything.

Our nursery has little children-sized toilets so it isn't really an issue for them to use them.

Anyone else got any suggestions either for good ones or whether they;re useful or not?

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 07:38:46

And as for when we go out - at the moment I can't even get him to wee or poo in the toilet / potty at home - going out is something of a pipe dream!

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 07:47:29

I should add though that I am aware that DS probably just isn't ready for potty training yet having tried bits and bobs, but I just want everything ready so that when he does finally decide he's up for it I am all ready!

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Thu 01-Sep-11 07:57:25

I used a good stable potty kept in the living room so no accidents (well reduced accidents). It doubles as a step, and I think it does also have the top bit converts into a Lou insert. Was from Argos. I've never had it on the toilet tbh so don't know if it would be a good fit.

picnicbasketcase Thu 01-Sep-11 08:00:40

DD had a seat and a step from ToysRUs. It's annoying that loo seats aren't a standard shape so that all of them fit, you may need to try a couple before you find the right one. We had one that went on top of the seat which moved about, the ones that slot under the loo seat seem to work better.

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 08:05:31

Yes we've got a great potty in the living room which has had some success when we've tried (a baby bjorn one) and it took a few goes to find one that worked potty wise. So far that has been all he's used mainly (and then most of the successes have been more luck than judgment!)

Thanks for the tip about one to go under the seat - I didn't know such a thing existed! I will be googling that later! That might help him to feel less reliant on it too when he does get the hang of it? <repeats to self 'it will happen, it will happen'>

Hoto Thu 01-Sep-11 08:09:52

the (sshh) Mothercare ones go under the loo seat and are really stable

I've also been eyeing up the family loo seats with both sizes on one hinge. I used to eye up young men and pretty shoes.. <sigh>

Biscuitsandtea Thu 01-Sep-11 08:13:09

I looked at those 'family seats' ages ago but seem to have all odd shaped toilets in this house.

Which mothercare one goes under the seat? I have one like this - is it supposed to go under the seat?

The only problem I found with the mothercare ones (seat and potty) was that they were too small for DS's boy bits! The splash guard just seemed to get in the way.

This was why we bought the baby bjorn potty as it fits his bottom much more comfortably.

Abecedarium Thu 01-Sep-11 20:40:29

I really would recommend the 'family' hinged seats. DD was late to train so we completely side-stepped the potty. She is really tiny though and it is easier for them to poo if they are relaxed on the seat - and supporting yourself as you teeter on a big seat is obviously not relaxing. We find that she can manage on big toilets when out and about so you don't necessarily become 'little seat dependant'. I found the Jojomaman Potette (or whatever it is) useful as a carry around insert when she first started and it's now useful as a fold down potty for long car journeys (just in case).

notcitrus Thu 01-Sep-11 20:53:04

I've got that JL one, and the Mothercare squishy one with handles, and another one.
Plus 2 basic 99p potties and a chair potty from Mothercare.

Ds is now potty trained and will use any potty (so fine at other houses with small children), or the child-size toilet at nursery, but can't sit on a loo seat without his legs dangling as I can't find a 2-step stool and he's too short to reach a single step.

Conversely dn, who is tall and skinny, will sit on any loo seat but not a cheap potty. I figure they'll both figure it out eventually and at least they are potty-trained (carrying a potty with me for ds is still easier than nappies!)

Took a while to teach ds to sit back on a potty so his willy pointed down. After initial choc buttons for sitting on potty and weeing, we moved to 'and willy points down and wee goes in the potty'!

MrsTumbles Fri 02-Sep-11 13:34:21

We bought one for about £7.00 from Boots which is padded and rather comfy looking! It fits our loo and my folks loo really well (they bought the same one).

Once DD had got the hang of weeing sitting on that, she was fine with the transition to a normal loo seat when we are out and about. She still needs one of us to 'hold on' to her when she hasn't got her seat, but she's only been trained for a few weeks. The seat at home allows her to be more independent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now