Talk

Advanced search

daughter really interested but constant accidents -- what to do?

(7 Posts)
smedrock Sun 17-Jul-11 17:06:53

hello all - my daughter is 2.3 and is getting really interested in potty training. she hates her nappies now and wants to have them off all the time. much of the time at home she just has a bare bum. she does try on the potty but she seems to tell me she needs it right after she's done a wee rather than in advance. she also loves to sit on the big toilet and has had some success with both the toilet and the potty. the thing is, she is obviously not ready in the sense that she doesn't know in advance when she wants to wee. Some one gave me some training pants (washable as we're in washable nappies all the time) and she LOVES feeling grownup but she just constantly wets/poos them. I'm concerned about how to encourage her ---? I don't want to stop her trying....
anyone else have experience with a toddler who has ambitions beyond their ability? many thanks -- potty training has got to be the most confusing thing so far!

Biscuitsandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 07:35:58

Hi Smedrock,

Your DD sounds quite similar to my DS, although he is 2.10 but he seems to have the same enthusiasm and lack of forewarning. Therefore he is wanting to not wear nappies but can't co-ordinate the use of the potty / toilet. We have also had some success with potties and toilets but again they are by chance more than judgment I think. Then he gets a bit put off when he has an accident and I don't know how to move forward. Don't want to stint his enthusiasm but don't seem to be making any progress.

Afraid I can't help much as I'm in a similar position but would love to hear some advice.

So far my approach has been to just go with what he wants and clean up the accidents. I am thinking that if he can wee without a nappy he'll get the hang of it quicker, but then again I don't want to put him off with not wanting accidents and then end up with him 'holding' anything in iyswim?

xx

Biscuitsandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 07:51:11

Just thinking about it a bit more and thought I should add re my DS that although he quite often wants to go nappy free, at other times he will quite happily stay in a nappy and won't tell me if he has done a wee or a poo. It doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest (sometimes). It's a bit of a mixture really.

smedrock Mon 18-Jul-11 17:28:26

biscuitsandtea -- ack! it's exactly the same. which probably means it's normal...today she was at a friend's and wore nappies no problem but then has been bareback since we came home. one success in the potty and one wet pair of 'big girl pants'...

goodluck -- maybe we need to reconvene in a month and see where we're at!

Biscuitsandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 19:23:26

Sounds like a plan! At the very least it is reassuring to know others are the same. I keep reading and hearing to 'wait until they're ready' but seems like they're not ready but not not ready hmm. We're in a weird no mans land but sure we'll get there eventually.

Let us know how you get on xx

Worcsmumof2 Wed 27-Jul-11 15:13:16

Hi I just read both your messages and am in the same position with my 2.5 yo dd. I tried potty training her a month ago but gave up as she couldn't seem to coordinate weeing with getting to the potty in time. Also she is happy to sit in a pooy nappy. I can't figure this out as she is vocal enough about most things and should be easily able to tell me when she has done a poo. Health visitor thinks I should keep going with the potty training and not have her in nappies, but with a 13 week old also in tow I can't spend all day cleaning the carpets (be great if we had wood floors!). Some people have told me to wait until she is older and tells me she needs to go, but I'm not convinced she will - she's quite stubborn in nature, bless! Sorry my ramble doesn't help you with advice but its nice to know there are other children like this out there smile I'm not sure what to do at this stage....try again or leave it longer?

smedrock Sat 06-Aug-11 11:33:22

hey worrcsmumof2 -- i've stuck at it -- no nappies on at home and on day 3 she did 8/9 wees in the toilet. still getting the odd poo on the floor or she is holding on until she goes into a nappy (to go out) to do a poo but overall i think i just have to keep going with it. but yeah, we have wood floors or tiles everywhere so it's a bit more wipeable!!

good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now