Talk

Advanced search

The poo was rolling on the floor

(7 Posts)
Airbubble Mon 11-Jul-11 19:54:26

Help! My DD who is 3.5 and has been potty trained (poos and wees) for 9 months now, has started wetting her knickers and in the last 2 weeks doing all her poos in them too! WWWWHHHYYYYY????? Argh. I took her knickers off 2 days ago (she is going commando) and she has so far managed to get her wees in the toilet, but today she pooed at the dinner table (she was kneeling and pooed on her ankles!!!) and it rolled off onto the floor while we were all eating. How do you just ignore this? She gave a little smirk when it happened and I know she is doing it on purpose. How do I get this hell to end?

zulubump Mon 11-Jul-11 21:28:01

I'm sorry but your post has just made myself and my dh laugh out loud! Oh dear, poor you. My dd suffered several relapses after initially potty training without too much trouble. Only with wees though it has to be said. It's so frustrating isn't it! I've no idea why it happens. With my dd, if she has one wee accident it seems to spark many more, but usually they peter out. My tactics have been to nag, praise and occaisonally lose my temper and shout! I know a few friends whose dcs have had similar relapses and that's helped me to be a bit more patient about it recently. My only advice it to try and not get wound up by it (so much easier said than done I know!) and just keep encouraging her to use the toilet, praising when she does and nagging when you can see she needs to go. And just know she is pretty normal!

HanFran Tue 12-Jul-11 20:21:58

Hi, we seem to be in exactly the same position! (See the thread I started just before yours entitled 'My fully potty trained 3yr old is doing poos in her knickers every day' - or something like that.)

I spent quite a long time last night trying to see if anyone had any ideas on what to do. In the end I concluded that my DD is deliberately doing this for negative attention (she seems to quite enjoy being told off at the moment, smiling and even laughing when I get cross with her), so the best thing to do is probably completely ignore it. It's REALLY hard to do, of course, because I'm mad as hell when she knowingly poos in her knickers and then sniggers at me when I tell her off for it. BUT if it's all about getting attention then the only thing to do is totally blank the bad behaviour, meanwhile lavishing praise on the good.

Actually, today has been a good day, with the first poo in the toilet (not knickers) for 9 days. She has had all manner of treats bestowed upon her, not to mention cuddles, kisses, cheering, jumping up and down and clapping... (me, that is!). Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I'm interested to know how you're getting on. Do keep posting updates if you would like to compare notes.

miamama09 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:51:46

Sorry, no advice, as am only starting potty training, but the title to your post made me laugh so much!
good luck btw!

Airbubble Thu 14-Jul-11 14:03:41

Thanks for the moral support and advice! I think the negative attention was what she was looking for, as she would smirk and grin as the poos escaped from the pants. So we tried going back to the very VERY beginning, with a sticker chart in the bathroom and all her favourite stickers lined up for sticking. Then chocolate buttons for poos also. When the stickers counted up to 15 there was a little present as well (Mickey Mouse hair clips!). Two days dry with only tiny little skid marks in the knickers!!!!! Yay. We MAY have cracked it (no pun intended.......well not really!) There has been much praise doled out, lots of cheering, kisses and all that. I think it's working!

Airbubble Thu 14-Jul-11 14:06:00

How's it going with you HanFran? Any luck so far? Glad to know I'm not alone in this...let me know if you've had any breakthroughs!

HanFran Mon 18-Jul-11 22:05:19

Hi Airbubble, I've just replied to you in the other thread so won't repeat myself too much here... but yes, I tried out your idea about going back to basics and it seems to be working. Also, totally ignoring any incidents of poo where it's not supposed to be; just cleaning her up in silence. She's been clean and dry for a few days now. Much jubilation! Glad to hear that it seems to be working for you too. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: