Talk

Advanced search

just starting

(10 Posts)
pranma Tue 28-Jun-11 20:31:35

Over the last week my dgs[2.4] has begun to want to use a potty.When he has no pants on he wees happily in the potty[and today did a poo there].However if he is wearing pants he sits on the potty and wees through the pants then cries because they are wet.I he is wearing pants/trousers he wees as if in a nappy but gets quite hysterical if you try to change him.He shouts,'Not wet not wet!!!'.He loves his new underwear and wants to wear pants all the time.Obviously the answer is leave his bottom bare at home but what do we[I on Thursday] do when away from home?He accepts pullups for bed but not otherwise.
He is very independent about weeing-doesnt say he wants to go just runs off to sit on the potty.
Is he really too young and should dd go back to nappies for him?

RuthChan Tue 28-Jun-11 20:46:33

My DS potty trained in April.
He too was fine when he was pantless, but got confused when wearing pants.
In his case it simply took a few days for him to get the hang of removing the clothes quickly when needing a wee, though he never tried to do wees through the pants on purpose.
How often do you ask him if he needs a wee?
If you can catch him at the right time, does he willingly take off the pants to go on the potty, or does he actively want to keep them on while weeing?

pranma Tue 28-Jun-11 20:59:10

He is very willing to take them off if you get to him in time he just hasnt really worked out how/what to do himself-from what you have said he will catch on soon-its only been a few days.

RuthChan Tue 28-Jun-11 21:14:55

Yes, it sounds like he's moving in the right direction.
Keep being patient and asking him often if he needs the potty.
If you can, leave him another day or two without pants so that he has more control himself and can go on the potty easily.
He'll get there. Just give him a few more days.
With my DS it took just about a week from nappies to reliable while wearing clothes.

pranma Wed 29-Jun-11 19:42:11

Getting better-today asked to get down from table as he needed a wee-he also did a poo on the toilet-dd read him a story while he sat there.He insists on standing up over the potty to wee as his daddy and big brother stand up.I have him for the day tomorrow and will put a pullup on when we go out but otherwise leave him without pants for the day.I am so proud of the little chap for taking the initiative to use the potty which has been around for ages as a thing.Until a week ago if you asked if he would wee in the potty when he was bigger he always said 'No!!'
Thanks for your replies.

RuthChan Wed 29-Jun-11 19:47:47

Great!
Sounds like he will have it cracked very soon. smile

pranma Thu 30-Jun-11 18:38:39

Today I had him all day-all wees in potty-just took himself without prompting.I left pants off though except for naptime when I used a pullup.Unfortunately as soon as I went into the kitchen he pooed on the living room floor and came to tell me-ah well I had left him watching Peppa Pig-at least he got off the sofa smile

RuthChan Thu 30-Jun-11 18:50:13

Don't worry about the poo.
It seems to take a little longer to get the hang of that one and to give themselves enough time to get to the potty.
He is certainly doing really well and you will be the proud mum of a potty trained DS before you know it!

pranma Fri 01-Jul-11 19:07:44

Thanks Ruth-he is my grandson so I have all the pride without the pain!

RuthChan Fri 01-Jul-11 19:18:35

Even better!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now