Talk

Advanced search

Potty training toddler with loose poos

(9 Posts)
belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 12:11:23

DD's poos have never been firm and nappies are very messy to change. Anyone had this situation while potty training? We haven't reallly started properly but have had a few wees on the potty and she's seeming pretty ready. I'm a bit worried about pooey pants and floor! Am I being silly?

spanky2 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:25:13

Keep the nappies on until there have been at least 4 dry days. I potty trained both my ds this way and, apparently I was trained that way too. Buy some pretty knickers and reward/praise/photo and text that photo to daddy as the incentive to get dry. I did it the Gina Ford way the 1st and unsuccessful time with ds1. I was ready to leave home after the 3rd day! I cannot cope with wee on the floor let alone poo! It will work only if your dd is ready. My ds1 has v.soft poo too. Much easier on the pot or better still on the toilet! Good luck.

belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 19:36:08

Thanks. I'm not quite sure what you mean though? Do you mean keep nappies on over the knickers?

PelvicFloor0fSteel Fri 24-Jun-11 19:40:55

DS1 has pretty runny poos and during the early phases of potty training there was quite a bit of mess, I bought cheap pants, spent plenty of time outside and did carpet/trouser cleaning as necessary.
I don't think DS would have bothered if we'd kept him in nappies, he needed to have the accidents to learn not to do it, if that makes sense? They're all different though so you may find your DD takes to it straight away.
What signs of readiness have you got?

belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 19:45:31

She talks about potties, toilets and knickers a lot, says she's not a baby (she is!) so doesn't need a nappy. Dry nappies for up to three hours sometimes. Tells me when she's doing a wee (but not before). Always strongly denies having had a poo, but that's because she doesn't like being changed I think. We've had the potty around a while and she's started to ask to keep her nappy off and sit on it recently. This has resulted on several wees in the right place which she was pleased about.

baabaapinksheep Fri 24-Jun-11 19:55:17

Soon after I started potty training DD1 she developed loose poos, so I went to the HV and she said to cut down the amount of fruit and veg she was having (she was eating a lot) and give her more dairy, eggs and bananas as they are quite 'binding'. So she had lots of things like yoghurts, banana smoothies, cheese omlette etc. and it really worked!

PelvicFloor0fSteel Fri 24-Jun-11 20:02:56

Wait for a nice day and give it a shot, that all sounds good! Poo does normally take a little bit longer than wee to master so don't be despondent if it takes a while, she sounds enthusiastic and it's more important to keep that attitude than worry too much about washing (bitter voice of experience - it was only when I relaxed about the whole thing that DS really got it).

belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 21:37:06

Thanks for all your thoughts. She's having a pretty fussy food phase at the moment, so not sure I can change much there. In her case, she's never had 'solid' poos. I though they might firm up once we'd stopped breastfeeding, but it seems not. I guess I'll go for it properly once the school holidays start and she's with me all week (with childminder 2 days normally).

spanky2 Sun 26-Jun-11 09:37:21

I'm not sure if you are still watching this, but the knickers stay in the drawer and the nappies on. The knickers are a present for being a big girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now