Talk

Advanced search

Another 'should I give up' thread - opinions please!

(2 Posts)
Kate2009 Tue 21-Jun-11 18:42:52

Started potty training my 25 mth old DD 6 days ago after lots of signs that she was ready (happy to sit on potty morning & evening & pee/poo, asking to go to the loo etc etc).

First morning was a breeze - started prompting her every 15 mins only to be rebutted so I stopped and she took herself to the potty 4 or 5 times successfully that morning with no accidents. That afternoon, completely the opposite, just lots of accidents, as if she'd lost interest.

Since then if I prompt her & can persuade her to sit on the potty we have successes and she's clearly pleased with herself, but more and more she refuses to sit on the potty, runs & hides then comes back with wet/soiled pants. Today 3 pees in potty but many more 'accidents'. I suggest sitting on the potty & she runs and hides, then comes back wet. Worse, she doesn't seem to care about being in wet pants and runs away when I suggest putting her into 'nice dry pants'. At lunchtime today she even demanded to be put into a nappy (which I didn't).

Have I started before she's ready? Should I persist or abandon for now - I am concerned that the longer this continues the more stressed I get and more stubborn she gets & it becomes a big issue. Worse, I have a 3 week course starting next week and the grandparents are coming to babysit during the day. I don't want them to have to deal with potty training her as well, so either need better results in the next 3 days or abandon. Opinions please!

BiscuitNibbler Tue 21-Jun-11 20:03:43

Hi Kate,

I'm by no means an expert - only on day 4 myself! However have you tried no pants? On day one my DD was wearing pull-ups and was hopeless with pees but as soon as I took them off she seemed much more aware of what was going on. Also, the Little Princess book I Want My Potty seems to have really helped.

I hope things work out for you. It is so stressful and I know what you're going through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now