Talk

Advanced search

Day 4 of toilet training - still no wees in toilet - are we doing it right?

(3 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Jun-11 10:04:41

DD is 2.5 and is very keen on wearing 'big girl pants' and sitting on the toilet. She's been sitting on the toilet before bathtime for a while now, but has never actually don't anything in it, she just likes sitting on it!

So on Friday we put her in pants and have been taking her to the toilet about every hour (she prefers toilet to potty!) but as of yet we still haven't managed to catch a wee or poo! When she does one in her pants she will tell me straight away and I'll change her and praise her for telling me and say next time we'll try and catch it in the toilet which she is happy about. When we sit her on the toilet we read with her or play games to try to keep her on there for about 5-10 mins.

She doesn't seem keen on going on any more often than about once an hour - and I'd rather keep it fun and not put her on when she really doesn't want to (we made this mistake with DS - tried to put him on every 20 mins and he got fed up with it and it became an issue and a battle of wills).

It seems to just be chance as to whether she'll need a wee when she's actually on the toilet - but I'm hoping that if we eventually catch one she will start to realise how it feels to need a wee and maybe try to do more on the toilet. I've got a sticker chart ready and explained how she can choose a sticker if she does a wee pr poo in the potty, which she seems quite excited about.

Does it sound as though we're doing it right or is there anything else we could do to help her? I don't want to give up as she is really keen on wearing pants and tells everyone about it so it does feel as though she is ready, but I would have hoped for some kind of progress by now!

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Jun-11 12:30:53

I'm not sure why I posted that twice!

addictedtofrazzles Mon 20-Jun-11 13:30:08

I would try a potty as well and that way you can have one in the room in which she is playing. Then you can verbally keep reminding her and if she needs to go then use the potty or take her to the loo.

I also think the sticker charts are a bit boring and unmotivating for them at this age. Can't you give chocolate buttons (just 1!) for every time she does a wee in the potty or loo. Chocolate is far more motivating?! After a week or so, DS1 forgot about chocolate for wees and we went on to 2 chocolate buttons for a poo. After about another week he had forgotten about the reward and was trained!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now