Talk

Advanced search

Day 4 of toilet training - still no wees in toilet - are we doing it right?

(7 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Jun-11 10:04:41

DD is 2.5 and is very keen on wearing 'big girl pants' and sitting on the toilet. She's been sitting on the toilet before bathtime for a while now, but has never actually don't anything in it, she just likes sitting on it!

So on Friday we put her in pants and have been taking her to the toilet about every hour (she prefers toilet to potty!) but as of yet we still haven't managed to catch a wee or poo! When she does one in her pants she will tell me straight away and I'll change her and praise her for telling me and say next time we'll try and catch it in the toilet which she is happy about. When we sit her on the toilet we read with her or play games to try to keep her on there for about 5-10 mins.

She doesn't seem keen on going on any more often than about once an hour - and I'd rather keep it fun and not put her on when she really doesn't want to (we made this mistake with DS - tried to put him on every 20 mins and he got fed up with it and it became an issue and a battle of wills).

It seems to just be chance as to whether she'll need a wee when she's actually on the toilet - but I'm hoping that if we eventually catch one she will start to realise how it feels to need a wee and maybe try to do more on the toilet. I've got a sticker chart ready and explained how she can choose a sticker if she does a wee pr poo in the potty, which she seems quite excited about.

Does it sound as though we're doing it right or is there anything else we could do to help her? I don't want to give up as she is really keen on wearing pants and tells everyone about it so it does feel as though she is ready, but I would have hoped for some kind of progress by now!

RuthChan Mon 13-Jun-11 12:43:59

4 days is quite a long time to continue without any wees in the toilet.
My DS trained a couple of months ago.
In the beginning he too was nervous about doing a wee on the potty, but he loved sitting on it.
I left him without any pants on and waited until he actually began to do a wee.
I then picked him up mid wee and stuck him on the potty.
He finished the wee on the potty and was able to see the result inside the potty.
This was followed by lots of praise and he was ecstatic to have done his first wee in the potty, something he had struggled with too.
After that he had no more issues and happily went to the potty everytime.

I did find that wearing pants in the beginning really confused him though. He spent 3 or 4 days without anything on from the waist down. This prevented any confusion about wearing a nappy and also allowed him to get onto the potty quickly without having to take his pants off.
Once he was reliable I put him in pants and gave him a couple of days to get used to that.

HTH

notnowbernard Mon 13-Jun-11 12:46:19

I would leave it until she is actually telling you that she needs a wee

Great that she enjoys sitting on the bog and all that, but an incredible waste of the day if she isn't actually doing anything on it... grin

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Jun-11 16:52:24

Thanks for your replies - I was hoping you'd say something like most children normally get the hang of it on day five!!

Part of the reason I'm worried about stopping when she seems so keen is that we did this with DS - he was ready and excited about wearing pants and using the toilet, and we delayed him because DD was about to be born. And then he completely went off the idea never seemed keen again so it was (and still is!) a big struggle to persuade him to use the toilet. He's nearly 5 now and still isn't reliably dry every day sad.

NotInTheMood Tue 14-Jun-11 20:52:29

I would try her without pants just around the house as I find that can confuse them. If she has too many accidents then I would wait a while before trying again.

AllDirections Tue 14-Jun-11 21:04:34

I'd be tempted to play in the bathroom for an hour so that when she starts to wee you can get her on the toilet quick. Once she does her first wee in the toilet she might realise what she needs to do next time.

And I gave each of mine a smartie for each wee for the first few days. They didn't take long to grasp that idea. grin

gapants Tue 14-Jun-11 21:09:37

I am not clear if your DD has been telling you that she is wee-ing or pooping when she has been in her nappies. If she has not been telling you then I would say that she is not ready.

DS was telling us when he was weeing/pooping for a couple of months before we got the potty out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: